My 2006 YZ450 rear hub exploded @*^#

Wow you must have a better eye than me...I dont see any dishing of the sprocket from either of those pics. The pics are better than nothing to get a general idea of where the hub broke, however, there is NO WAY a person could determine if there is a casting flaw in that hub from those blurry pics.

Take it to the dealer and tell them the same thing you've said here...the sprocket bolts were tight and the chain was adjusted to specs. Hopefully, they will value your business and be less skeptical than the folks here.

If you look at the third photo you can see that the sproket is pulled over or bent. Not really an even pull or dish, but still the same effect. It obviously was pulled out and over.

And you're right, the photos can't show any casting flaws. Hope I didn't imply that.

From looking at the 3 pictures it is difficult for me to say the sprocket is actually dished or bent due to the chain being run tight.

You feel that #3 shows the sprocket being dished or bent, however, in pic #1 and #2, I can look down the plane of the sprocket and it appears to not be bent. Regardless, once that hub derailed it would be difficult to tell from these pictures whether any sprocket damage was due to a super tight chain or whether the sprocket was damaged once the rear end grenaded.

I blew up a hub way back in 78 on an RM400 and the rear sprocket was damaged due to the chain continueing to yank around on it as it became lodged in the rear end of the bike. Though Suzuki did not have any warrantee period on their mx bikes, the shop still ended up standing up for me and getting me a new hub based on the their belief that it was a casting flaw.

I'm not going to claim to be Columbo here and say that I KNOW this problem relates to a casting flaw because I dont. If mustangcobra is telling everyone his chain was adjusted correctly...I'm also NOT going to call him a liar on a public forum based on some fuzzy pics.

If all the sprocket bolts are all tight - the chain was too tight.....I seriously doubt the hub has a casting flaw.....look at it this way....now you have a reason to buy a complete set of trick wheels and hubs..........man I am jealous...........feel any better? ?

I am 36 and race VET district 7. When I raced as a younger man i had no mom and dad, my great aunt took me to race. I had to work on my bikes myself from the age of 9, and never had this happen before. Now I enjoy getting home from work and messing with the bikes. I tried to adjust the chain from the manuels specs. Yes I could have gotten it wrong. The sproket was enbedded in the chain slide & stalled the engine when it happened. I had to use a hammer to get it out. The sproket could have been bent when it hit. I do not know. The picture are with a cheaper camera meant for e-bay items, so they are good as I can get. I went out a arranged to get 2 Hondas CRF450's 2006 & 2007 I am picking them up Thursday. My wife does not want me to take a chance on Yamaha's. Her bike is still a TT125LE and my girls have Raptor 80's. We will still have Yamaha's but I will no longer race them.

I tried to adjust the chain from the manuels specs. Yes I could have gotten it wrong. The sproket was enbedded in the chain slide & stalled the engine when it happened. I had to use a hammer to get it out. The sproket could have been bent when it hit. I do not know. The picture are with a cheaper camera meant for e-bay items, so they are good as I can get. I went out a arranged to get 2 Hondas CRF450's 2006 & 2007 I am picking them up Thursday. My wife does not want me to take a chance on Yamaha's. We will still have Yamaha's but I will no longer race them.

Are you saying you have lost confidence in the Yami 450 because of this ? Even Hondas hubs detonate when there is loose sprocket bolts and too tight chains.......... ?

The real point is this. The day your wife recommends you purchase TWO brand new dirt bikes, you damn well better listen to her opinion about brand.

After all, can you imagine being able to tell her......"Well, I have to buy a new ________, the damn HONDA you made me buy needs that added.

So to complete this unknown mystery of the exploding hub story

So Mr. Mustang Cobra bought himself 2 CRFs and posted this: on the CRF forum -

"I rode A Yamaha YZ450f 2006 and had trouble with it. I rode a friends Suzuki and it had better turn in but the 4 speed trans is not that great. After the trouble with the Yam - I sold it. I got 2 Honda's Thursday. I rode them today. The bike turns far better than the other 2. You can cut to the inside off a burn to cut under somebody, there is no way my Yamaha could have done it. The Honda when it gave it gas in the turn it just went faster. The Yamaha when giving it gas in a corner it would want to stand up some. I love the Honda it is great. I just wanted other people to know I rode three of the four and Honda has made the best bike by far. I see a couple people going to Yamaha - see you back here next season."

more justificcation

"Well with sag set, front tire changed, tried applied and stock triple clamps, Fork raised the the first line, handle bars changed and the suspension was broken in. Afriend ownes the local Yamaha shop so set up was spot on. The Honda smokes it. I am not a kid (36 years old and rode lots of bikes). The Suzuki was a friend sponcered ride, so it was set up and we are both 210 lbs. The Suzuki has good turn in, but that is were it ends. I have rode three of the 450's and wanted to let somebody know. I lost alot of money to switch to red and it was worth every penny. Again just helping."

and he said he was using AppliedRacing 27mm clamps are those for the 250F...no wonder it would not turn right...The 450 AppliedRacing clamps are 24mm right? ? If I am wrong I am sorry...........and should be beaten :ride:

I asked him again about his hub issue, But here is the real reason his hub exploded - for some reason he left this little, inconsquential tidbit out of this entire thread....

his response when I asked if the hub detonates on his honda will he be going orange in 2 months.... :ride:

"Yes this is me. What I did not tell you all about the Yamaha is the I came up short on a 80 - 90 foot double and crashed it hard. I broke my right big toe and dilocated it. I had to have both big toe nail removed. The bike had to get new front and rear fenders, Subframe, seat, front and rear rims. I have 2 4-wheelers and three bikes in the house and none have had chain problems. Everybody wants to claim they know what happened, but this is the first time I told anybody about the crash. Two rides after the replacement parts were installed the hub broke. The bolts are still tight in the sproket (I have the old parts) now this has nothing to do with the fact the Honda a better machine. I owned both and rode the third all at the same place."

Why all the crap ...my ole lady made me sell, she has no confidence in Yamaha ...... unbelievable....... :ride:

Folks if you want help or if you ask for opinions and want them on why things happen....at least be honest with yourself on the facts before you deliver the issue to the audience here.....what a big waste of internet space..... ?

So I believe the hub exploded because the chain was too tight(possibly slight but if muddy this would add to the tightness) and coming up short on a 80/90ft jump would do this

At least the facts are out now.....and I do not mean to be a @$$ about it

At least the facts are out now.....and I do not mean to be a @$$ about it

Nah, you've done the right thing by letting us know. He should have told the whole truth first up, instead of saying "Everybody wants to claim they know what happened"; what a jerk!

The crash could have weakened the hub, which wouldn't be surprising on any colour bike, and I still say "His chain was most probably too tight"! I didn't think it'd be a manufacturing flaw in the hub. It turns out that we weren't too hard on him, but rather that we weren't hard enough!!!

Thanks for posting Ga426owner.