HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xr500_89

Need Help with my 600

8 posts in this topic

i finally got my xr600 put back togethor after purchasing the thing in a total of 6 boxes and am having a hard time getting it started and keeping it running i have a mikuni flatslide pumper on there do any of you have any ideas on making it easier to start and to keep it running it runs for about 15 seconds then bogs when i give it throttle after it starts to run for a bit really tired of kicking please give me a hand.

put the stock carb on.

if you have the stock carb reinstall it like surfnride says. It probably is jetted incorrectly or has another problem with the mikuni. Plus the mikuni may be the wrong carb for a four stroke. Is the mikuni a TM flatrslide? and what size is it in mm of bore? Also, what year is the bike?

sorry been away, stock carb is trashed no way its goin neer that bike second i had the TMP-40 mikuni flatslide there is nothing wrong with the carb i had it runnig breefly, any tips for tuning, cause im about to leave it in the garage, and besides the tmp is made for 4 strokes i have never seen it on anything other than a four stroke.

sorry been away, stock carb is trashed no way its goin neer that bike second i had the TMP-40 mikuni flatslide there is nothing wrong with the carb i had it runnig breefly, any tips for tuning, cause im about to leave it in the garage, and besides the tmp is made for 4 strokes i have never seen it on anything other than a four stroke.

Good, then lets start from the get go, itll start but won;t keep running right? If itll start does it start easy, or do you have to kick the crap out of it first, also, when it starts, does it run ok then quit, or what happens when you throttle in on? Does it need the choke to start on a warm day or to keep running. see where I am going with this? It is all related to jetting so far. Answer these questions and we'll go from there. I feel you should have about a 168 main, a 65 pilot, and the needle in the second or third clip up from the pointy end, but this is a baseline, I don;t know what the mikuni needs from there. I also need to know what mods you have and what general condition you feel the motor is in, like compression, it should have about 128psi warmed up....that kinda stuff. Oh and since this is an 89, didn;t it have dual carbs on it stock? If so what manifold is on it now to handle the single carb...???

sorry been away again no 89 was the single carbe setup, i finally decided after all this time to take it to a shop and have it jetted if i had time i woulda done it but between my day job and going to the dojo to teach i have no time thanks for all your guy's responses

XR500, I use a Mikuni TM40 pumper on my XR650R. I've had TONS of practice jetting it b/c they come jetted real goofy. If you still have problems, let me know...

well the shop i took it to is a reputable shop in my area and i doubt i'll have any problems afterwards but if you could email me any help info you have to xpeder89@earthlink.net i would greatly appreciate it