Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
e30M3

426 conversion finally complete!

48 posts in this topic

This is my 2002 426 when I bought it a few months ago:

426beforeleft.jpg426beforeright.jpg

After riding it a couple of times to make sure it was mechanically sound I did this:

Before1.jpg

It's now complete (I just need to clean the chain and put it back on):

426left.jpg426right.jpg426front.jpg

I had been saving for an '06 since I had an old smoker. I realized I really wanted a green sticker bike so this was my solution..

Dude that is so sweet. It makes me sick, I just went through my bike and it doesn't look anywhere close to that clean.

100_1219.jpg

I love the hurricane kit. where did you find all the yellow plastic, and graphics, is that a yellow tank or a black tank. Did you paint or powdercoat your frame.

Awesome ride man

That bike looks awesome! Really, that is the best conversion I have ever seen. C L E A N!

You will want to get a glide/skid plate to cover those oil lines, though.

Doug

Since I wasn't getting the '06 like a really wanted I decided to completely go through this one, after all I intend to have it a while. Everything was stripped down and I had the frame powder coated black. The Hurricane kit from One industries comes with all the yellow plastics. Since I was doing the conversion to the 450 plastics I just bought the hurricane kit for that year. The tank is a black Clarke tank. Clarke offers different colors in the "stock" size and shape. While I was at it I put in a 450 cam, stainless brake line, and got some power pegz too. I am looking forward to riding it " for the first time".

The pipe is a FMF Q2. About the same size as the stock pipe and much short than the original FMF Q.

Glide plate, oh ya, I knew I forgot something, it's sitting in the corner of my garage!

Where are you guys getting the different colored gas tanks???

I had a huge list of things I needed (stuff that wasn't offered on ThumperTalk). I was going to give my business to a local Cycle Gear shop. I stood there waiting over 30 minutes while the guy tried to help me and several other customers. The boss come out of the back to ask a question then went back to his office. I left after that and got everything I needed on line (a few parts come from a local Yami dealer that I will continue to use in the future in addition to ThumperTalk). The tank come from www.cyclebuy.com. I had never ordered through them before but I got an almost instant email confirmation of my order and had the tank a couple of days later.

i would have never thought that was a 426. if anything a 05 450!!!

Do you like the carbon fiber fork guides (usually a plastic piece to keep the fork guard from rubbing on the fork). I am actually not all that into bling but they were a lot less then the plastic pieces from an '05. I was afraid they would look like crap after a while so I took some clear 3m sticker material and covered them...details, details.

Ride engineering only showed those pieces for an '05 and newer (which wouldn't fit an '02 without trimming). I when to order them knowing I would need to shave them down and found out that they do have them available for the older bikes...

I also wasn't into the short vent lines that some guys run on the gas tank. After putting the stock line on the bike it just didn't look as clean as I wanted. So I bought a short line and after putting it on I think I am slowly getting use to it.

How hard was it to fit the 05 450 plastic and air box...etc on the 02 426?? did you have to fab anything??

How hard was it to fit the 05 450 plastic and air box...etc on the 02 426?? did you have to fab anything??

Not very hard-You need the subframe, seat, rear master, airbox, tank, and all the plastics. Most everything bolts right up except the frame/subframe need some trimming and you need to fab a bracket for the tank (or not run one at all). There is a thread on it that gives more info but feel free to send me a private message.

Nice job, e30 :thumbsup: (you know you no longer need the lower brake line guard, right? I discarded mine when I converted the brake line on my '03 because it gets in the way of the axle nut)

There's a very detailed thread on the 450 plastics conversion...Satch did it. :ride:

(you know you no longer need the lower brake line guard, right? I discarded mine when I converted the brake line on my '03 because it gets in the way of the axle nut)

I actually wasn't sure about that. I stuck it on figuring it wouldn't hurt to have a little protection down there, I will probably take it off. I should get a full disk guard since I ride out in Ocotilla (pretty rocky) sometimes.

From everything I have read I anticipate the handling/ergonomics will be a little better but I haven't ridden it yet-hoping to get a chance to ride it next weekend.

Ocotillo Wells? One of my favorite places, too, except for the world's biggest whoops on the Crossover Trail (damn quads). That and Superstiton.

That is an insanely awesome conversion man! I hate the looks of the 426 they just look like a heavy tank, but that 426 looks like a dangerous full blown MX bike. Like the other guy said looks like a trick 05 450. :thumbsup:

VERY CLEAN! :ride:

Looks like everyone is trying to be like us SE owners :thumbsup: Looks very clean man, looked great when you got it too! Where do you live in California?