Removing Paint/Anodizing from Sidecovers

What is the easy method for stripping the gray metallic paint clean off the magnesium sidecovers?

Thanks,

Some sandpaper and a little elbow grease. That's what I use and it takes less than a half hour to have all the paint off and the cover polished. It comes off pretty easy.

I bought a can of paint stripper at Walmart. I took the paint off the face and then repainted the outer area black. (YZ250)

bc52cd7f.jpg

I used wet sand paper for the clutch cover on my old 426, then polished it up. It took a bit of elbow grease but looked great when it was done. Only thing is once its polished it takes alot of maintenance to keep it that way.

I just ride...it comes off more and more each ride...:thumbsup:

i used an aircraft grade paint stripper and a piece of moist sandpaper, worked for me, then i powdercoated it, but it wears just as the old coating did, still looks decent tho, i did the clutch cover and water pump cover on my 01 http://bikepics.com/pictures/595882/

I just ride...it comes off more and more each ride...:thumbsup:

the voice of reason....it's a dirt bike not a Harley.. :ride:

the voice of reason....it's a dirt bike not a Harley.. :ride:

This coming from a guy with the cleanest bike at the track...EVERY weekend :cry:

:ride::thumbsup:

This coming from a guy with the cleanest bike at the track...EVERY weekend :ride:

:cry::thumbsup:

What can I say....I like a clean bike...

:ride:

What can I say....I like a clean bike...

:cry:

What happened to:

....it's a dirt bike not a Harley..

Unless you're riding a Harley dirt bike. :thumbsup:

1978%20H-D%20MX250-R_600.jpg

This coming from a guy with the cleanest bike at the track...EVERY weekend :ride:

:cry::thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with that. My bike looks showroom, but even better when I get to the track, but when I leave it's defiantly dirty.

I used grip tape. It worked good but took a while. When its polished it looks good but for some odd reason it only stays shiny for a day or so. Must be the type of metal.

Unless you're riding a Harley dirt bike. :thumbsup:

1978%20H-D%20MX250-R_600.jpg

I use to race one of those Orange Pumpkins!!

Anybody remember when there was a Harley dirt bike?????????????

I do, it seems like a long time ago.

Glass beading is the prefered method of removing that paint from the side covers and the cam cover, that way they are just bare Magnesium and they can be touched up with a scotchbrite pad.

I remember them as well. It was 1978.

I use to race one of those Orange Pumpkins!!

I'm not sure if I should I offer my condolences (for obvious reasons) or congratulations for having lived to tell about it. :ride:

:thumbsup: