Xr650r Final Drive

I understand there may be benefits to changing the stock final drive with my BRP. I rarely do tight trails, mostly Baja desert riding stuff. I also made it street legal, so I do some street riding as well. Anyone have any experience going to a 15/48 or a 15/47 final drive? If so, can you give me an idea of what to expect? Thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

I run 15/48 on the street/dual sport/off road. My bike is stock, uncorked and pulls the taller gearing just fine. There is still plenty of grunt for slower trails, you will just have to clutch it a bit when getting into the 10mph stuff. I've heard that some Baja guys run 15/47. I ran 15/46 once and it worked pretty good for primarily street, but it would be too tall for anything but fast off road in my opinion. I would say 15/48 or 15/47 is about perfect for street/off road use.

I run 15/45 with pipe and jetted still pulls good, mpg 53 city 45 hiway 41 taking it easy off road, a bit tall for under 10 mph in the rough but nice on the freeway at 75 mph without revving the engine to early death, I will go to 15/43 next because I would like to cruise 80 mph and it has the power to pull it, stock aussie XR650R gearing is 15/41 that I know would be way tall.

I understand there may be benefits to changing the stock final drive with my BRP. I rarely do tight trails, mostly Baja desert riding stuff. I also made it street legal, so I do some street riding as well. Anyone have any experience going to a 15/48 or a 15/47 final drive? If so, can you give me an idea of what to expect? Thanks for the help. :ride:

I've run everything, 14/48, 14/46, 14/45, 14/44 and then swapped out the

CS sprocket and when through it again 15/48, 15/46 (not much of a change there)

then 15/45 and 15/44. The 15/44 is great for long trips, can cruise at 75 all month

and will top out at over 100 easy.

Out of all of the above 15/45 is the most usable. It'll get you at 65 / 70 mph on the highway

at nice rpm and still have the grunt to pull it up in 4th at about 55 / 66 mph (with

a small bounce :thumbsup: )

15/48 is great off road / woods, but buzzed a bit on the highway.

It depends on how Strong you are. If you're not in top shape you'll have to

steep it up a bit to slow things down a tad.

Also, when you get down to the 45 or 44 rear sprocket, you'll have to take a

link out of the chain... so you can't go back unless you have a spare 110 link chain.

The 15 CS sprocket really smoothed the pig out quite a bit. It enables the power

to come on nicely, not the like the standard on / off "switch" feeling.

So the 15/48 seems to be what I may want...did you have to change out the CS cover?

So the 15/48 seems to be what I may want...did you have to change out the CS cover?

no, it all fits fine.

Does Honda make a 15 tooth CS, or what is the best option?

I've run everything, 14/48, 14/46, 14/45, 14/44 and then swapped out the

CS sprocket and when through it again 15/48, 15/46 (not much of a change there)

then 15/45 and 15/44. The 15/44 is great for long trips, can cruise at 75 all month

and will top out at over 100 easy.

Out of all of the above 15/45 is the most usable.

I bought my bike with a 15/45 and like it on the highway, but since I rarely ever will hit a road where I'll reach 75mph, I have been contemplating to drop the gearing a little. The bike came wiht 13, 14 and 48 sprocket spares, but based on your commments, my chain will probably be too short for the 15/48 setup. How would a 14/45 compare to that? Should be about the same ratio using my basic math skills and the chain should fit, right ?

Peter