Something new to discuss - when is it too hot to ride?

I try and beat the heat by riding really early in the mornings. I wake up at around 0600 hours and usually hit the trailhead by 0700. Around here in Vegas it's starting to get really, really hot. Just last weekend it was up to 115, so I went to California to ride. It wasn't much better there though...as there was some heat wave going across all of the lower west coast. During the summer I generally avoid the tight, nasty trails that I usually ride that way it's harder to get into a situation where my bike may overheat miles away from civilization...although I do use Engine Ice coolant and it seems to be working quite well.

Doug

i don't mind riding in the heat, i can ride in around 35C (95F) all comfortable.

when is it too hot? when you get tried very fast, but keep riding and feel sick i suppose:excuseme:

Try 90+* and 100+% humidity!!! for 1/2 of the year, the other 1/2 (winter!) is 80* and ~70% humidity.

At least it is all year round riding! :thumbsup:

I've lived in Vegas for 6 years now, so I'm used to this desert heat, and as long as a camelpack is on your back, its never too hot, just need to stay hydrated.

This makes me chuckle just a little because later inthe year when the guys from the north start asking, "when do you put your bikes in storage", I'll say, "I put mine up for 3-6 weeks in August". Not what they will be expecting. :thumbsup:

When it's too hot depends on what kind of riding you're doing, where you're doing it, and what kind of shape you're in.

Taking laps at the track in the Georgia pines where you can sit in the shade between sessions and regroup, and where there's other guys around to help you out is one thing. Taking off across the California desert is another. No shade, and unbelievably dry air can suck the water out of you way faster than you would think. And apart from just riding in that weather, what if something goes wrong, and you start pushing the bike, or walking 10 or 20 miles back to your truck.

We don't ride in the desert when it's over 100 out there. Too easy to become a statistic, and there's too many other places to go.

You have two main concerns in the heat. One is hydration, and the other is core temperature. You need to drink AND ABSORB a lot of water, and wear stuff that allows for the efficient evaporation of sweat.

Read: Hyperthermia

95 is cool ....what about over 100+?

with the humity at almost 100%, i'd say it felt warmer than 100.

It hit 119 today and set a new record for my area but I still went bmxing and got a new bike. But last thursday I was 107 at the place I was dirtbiking at and I got stuck on a hill for 10 minutes and when I got back to the car I couldn't think right or talk or anything and my dad got a little worried and stuck me under a faucet a few times. And Yesterday went boating at Mclurre and that was pretty good when the sun was behind the clouds.

It reached 103 degrees here yesterday. I know some of you guys are like "we get that all the time." Well I live in Washington and I sweat at 70 degrees and don't like to ride if it is 85 degrees or higher.

Well, I figured out that 115 is about when I need to call it quits lately... Got heat stroke on Sunday and was throwing up. Not fun, but I still had a good time.

I rode at I5 on Saturday and on hte road up there the temp was 98 at 9:30am, any way it got to 110 it was humid also.

I dhould not have ridden it was way too hot.

dude i rode in 118 on saturday so dont complain and it was in the heat of day with no water. u just have to luv to ride and not be so damn gurls lol jk

"Taking laps at the track in the Georgia pines where you can sit in the shade between sessions and regroup, and where there's other guys around to help you out is one thing."

GreyRacer riding in Ga and Al and Fl with almost 100% humidity and no breeze.....sitting under a pine tree is no better, although under my Easyup is a little better......all you do is pour sweat out constantly....I typically lose 3-7lbs of water weight per day even hydrating all day long....but having other guys there is a plus and the occasional electric fan with a generator is a plusI need to buy one of these:

http://www.yamahagenerators.com/ef1000is.htm?cart=11538333059805248

............I would think desert riding alone is like scuba diving alone.....a big no no....

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I practice at the hottest part of the day usually only 105. When you race in the morning at around 80 you can ride harder longer and not have problems with the heat. There s a couple of crazy guys hear that were trash bags when thy ride to get used to the heat. :thumbsup:

I went riding yesterday in 103 degree heat and it just about killed me. Riding isn't fun when you are more worried about heat stroke than anything else. I could have done a track for about a half and hour or so though, but the long trails were killer.

...riding in Ga and Al and Fl with almost 100% humidity and no breeze.....sitting under a pine tree is no better,
You have a point!
....I typically lose 3-7lbs of water weight per day even hydrating all day long....
When I was racing bicycles in the late eighties, that was the norm for a 75+ mile ride or a road race. sometimes over ten pounds. That in spite of drinking up to a gallon over the course of the day.
............I would think desert riding alone is like scuba diving alone.....a big no no....
And another point :thumbsup:

The last time i went riding MX, i put 2.2 hrs on the sendec in the heat and it totally sacked me pretty bad. Thankfully i had put a new case of water in my truck b/c I drank 16 (really!) bottles of water and i still was starting to feel dehydrated and crampy the last few laps before i decided to call it a night.

I generally don't buy gatorade and such, but i think maybe in the heat like this it may be a good idea. I did put down a couple banannas, a Myoplex bar, and a turkey sandwich during the evening too.

tip: Sams sells a case of 32 bottles of ozarka (and others i would imagine) for just over 4 bucks. I buy about 10 cases at a time. Oh - recycle them too :thumbsup:

106 is the limit for me. The wife is going out to dinner with the girls tonight and I had the chance to go our riding but it's WAY TOO HOT! :thumbsup:

It's not so much the riding that worries me it's the starting ritual! I've still got the manual decomp on my YZ and I don't think I'd survive kicking the beast over in all my gear when it's this frickin hot. I'm still recovering from this weekend. I was in the attice at 7am pulling wire for a new elec. circuit and it was damn hot up there lemme tell you. Althoug I'm starting to agree with 642MX...

"If I'm going to be outside sweating, I'm at least going to have my riding gear on."

106 is the limit for me. The wife is going out to dinner with the girls tonight and I had the chance to go our riding but it's WAY TOO HOT! :thumbsup:

It's not so much the riding that worries me it's the starting ritual! I've still got the manual decomp on my YZ and I don't think I'd survive kicking the beast over in all my gear when it's this frickin hot. I'm still recovering from this weekend. I was in the attice at 7am pulling wire for a new elec. circuit and it was damn hot up there lemme tell you. Althoug I'm starting to agree with 642MX...

"If I'm going to be outside sweating, I'm at least going to have my riding gear on."

Thats exactly what got me on Sunday. Since it was my first time out, I had stalled the bike a few times, and had to start it w/ the manual decomp and all, and it usually took 2-3 kicks to start it, because I don't have the drill down quite right yet.

IMHO 95 is to hot to ride- " Come on October"!!

Being from So Tex, the heat has never stopped me from riding, but it sure can be miserable, especially if you go down and have to restart a hot bike. Sometimes i have to remove my helmet and just try to cool off because i feel like im overheated and dont want to get a heat stroke. I also drink alot of fluids.

It is too hot to ride when you cannot carry enough water to make it back to the truck. The real answer is a personal one, depends on how you respond to heat. Heat stroke is not a laughing matter, it will kill you dead. It will take down the biggest man in a heart beat. One of the symptoms is to not be able to make good decisions . . .