cracked gas tank

I have a 2001 yz250 and since there are so many more people on here then ill ask. There is a crack in my tank where it comes and meets the side panel. It leaks a little and I was wondering how I should repair it.

And by the way I am selling it. I will either get a crf450 or a yzf450 or the first thing I find thats a good price. Are the 450's reliabl?? I have heard alot of bad opinions about the yamaha450's

I have heard alot of bad opinions about the yamaha 450's

From who? A Honda rider? With Honda's you will be replacing or re shimming the valves every 2 months. The only thing wrong with Yamaha is......well......nothing. And for the cracked gas tank you are better off buying a new one. try e-bay.

I want the most reliable motor out of a 450 what is the best company and year to buy? Is the 2003 yamaha 450 any good?

Just buy a new tank, and just read what RedBeard said (long time Honda rider, he moved to Yamaha)...I also know a friend that rides a CRF450R and he has to shim out the valves A LOT, and I know us Yamaha riders just have to check them, but their always in spec.

Yamaha for sure is the most reliable, Honda is the last choice you want for that reason...2003 is good, from what I heard. If you want a bike where you can just ride, wash, change oil, then check valves once every 20 hours get a Yamaha. Very little maintance.

So on Friday i went out with some friends to ride a one of our tracks. My one friend just picked up an 06 Yami and was on his 3rd ride with the bike. I have ridden an 06 Yami before but just for a short while. I decided to sit on his Yami and really liked the flat back bone of the bike. The tank sits very low and the bike is just plain easy to move around on and to really get on the front end. My curiosity was peaked. How did I not notice this before? I asked him to ride it and he told me "sure, but be prepared, it's slow". So I suited up and headed out. The clutch was very smooth, like butta, the bike felt smaller than the CRF instantly as well. Heading to the line I noticed that it did seem a little 250f'ish compared to my bike, but figured I'd see what I could do with it. Now normally it takes me a good 2 laps to start feeling comfortable on any bike other than my own, not this one. Within two turns I was hammering turns hard and jumped a very good sized table on my first lap out. This table is probably a good 75 feet but is right out of a sweeping left hander so it's sort of tough to clear cleanly, but on the Yami I sailed over it with ease. The motor was smooth and pulled really well, but with less authority than the Honda. It never felt like you were going that fast, but the results were hard to deny. I was smoother, faster and less tired after riding the Yami. The stock suspension was a thing of beauty. It was plush but I never bottomed out. It tracked straight through some very rough sections and the bike never caught me off guard. I did have issues with the brakes, but I think that was more set-up than anything else.

So in all, I must have had my Honda biased blinders on the first time I rode one of these, because this bike was awesome! I know you guys are gonna bust my chops, but this Yamaha is just plain a better bike when stock. If I could do it right now, I would probably trade up to the Yamaha. :thumbsup:

You could try JB Weld :ride: some guys use it to fix holes in their cases :cry:

Though if it where me I would buy a new one

Oh they do make stuff to fix plastic fairings for street bikes. I've repaired cracks using that stuff. Works like a fiberglass resign. That or the fiberglass resign may work. If anything it would work better then JB weld :thumbsup:

There is a crack in my tank where it comes and meets the side panel. It leaks a little and I was wondering how I should repair it.

Your gas tank meets the radiator shrouds, not the side panel. Get a new tank.

Doug

I fixed a cracked tank using a soldering iron to melt the plastic back together. It fixed and I never had another problem. Saved me $$$ too :thumbsup:

I fixed a cracked tank using a soldering iron to melt the plastic back together. It fixed and I never had another problem. Saved me $$$ too :thumbsup:

That's a good idea, but it will weaken it, so you may want to try to melt a extra piece onto the surface. over the crack.

plastic welding is an option. It depends on the crack though. Your local dealer should have some.

I did the same thing on my radiator shroud, but I was able to weld both sides. I also cut pieces from the ribs on the back to use as filler. Looks good so far.
I will either get a crf450 or a yzf450 or the first thing I find thats a good price. Are the 450's reliabl?? I have heard alot of bad opinions about the yamaha450's

I consider this like comparing a super model to the girl next door. Everyone thinks the super model is the best catch in the whole world, but secretly, they always want the girl next door. And in the end, the GND makes you a whole lot happier because they have a lot more than just looks.

Bottom line, try a yz450f. You will love it!