Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nova1194

Long Term 426 Issues ?

11 posts in this topic

Like a big dummy I sold my 01 426 a couple years ago, I was the original owner, raced a few hare scrambles with it, but I am not an "A" rider so I never really beat it hard, I turn wrenches for a living so it was well maintained, I guess I was lucky becuase I never had any trouble starting the bike, even after a fall, just pull the decomp lever, clear it out with a few kicks and start it back up.

My step son has a TTR and is showing interest in riding again and the KLX I have been messing around with just isnt as much fun since I rode a KX450 last weekend.

I may have a chance to buy my old 426 back from the friend I sold it to, he wants something lighter with a wide ratio trans and a lower first gear, I dont know how much time he has put on it, but I suspect it is not much.

Are there any long term issues to watch for on these bikes? It was trouble free the whole time I owned it, never even had to change a valve shim. But I have not kept up with the MX bike scene much, and dont know how well they are standing the test of time.

Thanks

These bikes are bullet proof. I would not hesitate for a second if you trust that it has been taken care of since you sold it. Hope this helps.

Josh

As long as he changed the oil then I WOULD buy it back. My 01 426 has been bulletproof and from what I've heard (and one of the reasons I bought my 426) this is one of the best 4 stroke motors ever built as far as duarability and maintenance.

The only serious longevity issue I know of that seems to be an actual weakness of the bike is that the undercut will wear off of the locking lugs on the 4th and 5th gear sets, causing them to skip out of gear under a load. Doesn't happen to all of them, but it's certainly not uncommon.

I have an 02 YZF426. I have many many hours on it, desert races, dunes, i live next to open riding area so i usually ride it a few hours a night, if i can...but anyways when i ride it i ride it hard, i dont abuse it, but im not nurturing it by any means...And the only maintenance i do is change the oil every three months, or dune trip, and clean the oil filter. She has always started on the first kick too...

Buy it back, i have never changed a Valve shim, tranny problems, if it didnt happen yet it probly wont...I love this bike. Two of my freinds just bought a new YZF450, RMZ450, i outweight them by about 50 punds and a few inches(NOt all FAT...LOL) and i can keep up with them like nothing...and tey are always beggin me to take my "beast" out for a spin...I LOVE THESE BIKES!!! Get her back....

I have an 02 YZF426. I have many many hours on it, desert races, dunes, i live next to open riding area so i usually ride it a few hours a night, if i can...but anyways when i ride it i ride it hard, i dont abuse it, but im not nurturing it by any means...And the only maintenance i do is change the oil every three months, or dune trip, and clean the oil filter. She has always started on the first kick too...

Buy it back, i have never changed a Valve shim, tranny problems, if it didnt happen yet it probly wont...I love this bike. Two of my freinds just bought a new YZF450, RMZ450, i outweight them by about 50 punds and a few inches(NOt all FAT...LOL) and i can keep up with them like nothing...and tey are always beggin me to take my "beast" out for a spin...I LOVE THESE BIKES!!! Get her back....

You change your oil every 3 months? You need to change it every 3 rides.

Like a big dummy I sold my 01 426 a couple years ago, I was the original owner, raced a few hare scrambles with it, but I am not an "A" rider so I never really beat it hard, I turn wrenches for a living so it was well maintained, I guess I was lucky becuase I never had any trouble starting the bike, even after a fall, just pull the decomp lever, clear it out with a few kicks and start it back up.

My step son has a TTR and is showing interest in riding again and the KLX I have been messing around with just isnt as much fun since I rode a KX450 last weekend.

I may have a chance to buy my old 426 back from the friend I sold it to, he wants something lighter with a wide ratio trans and a lower first gear, I dont know how much time he has put on it, but I suspect it is not much.

Are there any long term issues to watch for on these bikes? It was trouble free the whole time I owned it, never even had to change a valve shim. But I have not kept up with the MX bike scene much, and dont know how well they are standing the test of time.

Thanks

I would buy it back. When I finally upgrade to a new 450, I'm going to have a real hard time letting my 426 go. I've had it so long it seems like a member of the family.

Rear tires don't last well at all... :thumbsup: But seriously, for trails and/or offroad it does need a lower first gear and a wider ratio.

And the only maintenance i do is change the oil every three months,
There's one in every crowd. I wonder what the air filter looks like... :thumbsup:

You change your oil every 3 months? You need to change it every 3 rides.

Maybe 3 Long All Weekend rides. I usually just go out for an hour or so from my house....

And that is what what my buddy who owns a shop tells me to change it.

Unless it is very dirty the only reason to change it is becuase of Viscosity breakdown.about 3 months

Maybe 3 Long All Weekend rides. I usually just go out for an hour or so from my house....

And that is what what my buddy who owns a shop tells me to change it.

Unless it is very dirty the only reason to change it is becuase of Viscosity breakdown.about 3 months

I think your friend is maybe trying to sell you a crank and piston. Trust me on this one, most shop owners don't know how to tie there own shoes, I work for one who can't.