HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flatnacker

Do we really need a hotstart?

31 posts in this topic

Read in a local aussie bike mag that a race team over here said they remove and blank off their hot starts as they said if the bike is correctly jetted it shouldnt need a hot start to start. Other bikes (KTM) dont have them so maybe there is some truth to this?

Opinions please-anyones bike out there start easily without hot start? I know mine is a real biatch to start without it if hot :thumbsup:

I have an 05 crf450R and I never use my hot start even when it's hot. Maybe I'm just lucky. I never use the choke to start it either

never used the hot start on my (correctly jetted) '05 and after 3,000 klm's i don't intend to. It starts cold, warm and hot (with maybe the smallest touch on the throttle to let some air in) ... all-in-all i'm very happy with it

My 426 won't start without the Hotstart if it has been running more than a few minutes. It just won't start without using it. I would say that it is essential for me.

Btw, it starts first kick when cold and first kick everytime with the hotstart.

I'm not sure if we really need it but I always use it and my WR always starts right up when its hot.

I hardly ever use my hot start. Before rerouting my carb vents I would need to use the choke and hot start at the same time after stalling out in deep water. It was the only way it would start. When I drop my bike it will start first kick if I pull the hot start but I usually forget and it will start second kick without it anyways.

I've never used mine on my 05.. When my 03's valves went out of spec the hotstart became mandatory...

Whats a hot start?

JK - I know what it is.....its the lever above my clutch that just sits there and has never been touched :thumbsup:

When my motor is very hot, it will usually take 4 or 5 cranks before it starts. If i use the HOT START lever, it will usually start in 1 or 2 cranks. This is using the magic button.

05 WR450- When desert racing it is nice to use.....you crash or stall it will fire up much quicker with the hot start, I don't think I NEED it...but it is quicker with it.

When my motor is very hot, it will usually take 4 or 5 cranks before it starts. If i use the HOT START lever, it will usually start in 1 or 2 cranks. This is using the magic button.

I agree - I know my bike needs some jetting tweaking, but because of the different elevations I ride - sometimes in the same day - it will NEVER be perfect. Hot start is a godsend. I would never get rid of it.

My 1999 yz400f, has a hot-start...

I think...

I've never had to use it. It always starts first kick, hot or cold. :thumbsup:

Hmmmm judging by the replies then my bike needs some serious jetting work done because without the hot start my bike just wont start when hot!!!! Sooooo jetting gods what does this situation suggest-what would I need to change jetting wise to fix? I have a JD kit...

With the original carb and the '04 carb on my '99, I only need the hot start in extreme situations. Like when I have dumped the bike on its side or when I stall it in really slow, tight conditions. It is a nice thing to have. I'm sure those 6 ounces the KTM guys save makes them win races.

With the original carb and the '04 carb on my '99, I only need the hot start in extreme situations. Like when I have dumped the bike on its side or when I stall it in really slow, tight conditions. It is a nice thing to have. I'm sure those 6 ounces the KTM guys save makes them win races.

I think you guys are confusing my point-Im not going on about weight savings :ride: all Im getting at is whether we should actually need them if our bikes are jetted correctly i.e does the need to use it indicate a jetting problem-not sure why the race team took theres off?. I was also pondering why our bikes need them and others dont-whats the difference etc.

And thanks Rich for pointing out mike bike is to rich, I'll have a play tonight and see if I can get it sorted :thumbsup:

I think you guys are confusing my point-Im not going on about weight savings :ride: all Im getting at is whether we should actually need them if our bikes are jetted correctly i.e does the need to use it indicate a jetting problem-not sure why the race team took theres off?. I was also pondering why our bikes need them and others dont-whats the difference etc.

And thanks Rich for pointing out mike bike is to rich, I'll have a play tonight and see if I can get it sorted :thumbsup:

Hotstart can cause more problems than what it's worth.

Like ACV, Block it off!

Lay it down when hot and it'll sure start easier with the HS.

If your competing every second counts and teh difference between starting in the first one or two versus five or ten makes a big difference.

What problems could possibly be caused by having a hot start? Unless the cable gets kinked or something breaks to cause it malfunction, it doesn't affect jetting in any way, except those few seconds when it is activated.

In my opinion, a hot start circuit is a genius idea and makes 4 strokes starting in hot conditions much easier.

Also, having a hot start circuit available doesn't mean that you don't need to properly jet the carb. The hot start is a safety net for those extreme conditions I discussed earlier.