HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Don123

Honda 650XL

8 posts in this topic

I am having a high speed wobble, this after replacing the front tire.

All the spokes are tight, both front and back wheels are true. The

wobble starts about 70 mph (Fwy) ???????? Help

Tyre is out of ballance, or out of round. Either have the tyre ballanced or take it back to the place you bought it from and have it replaced. That or the tube may be squirley in the tyre...take to tyre off the rim if you installed it and reinstall it or take it somewhere to have it ballanced.

Just because the spokes are tight, does not mean that the rim is true. :thumbsup: I've had that happen to me, easiest way to fix that is take it to a shop and have them adjust it.

Check to be sure that the tire is beaded on the wheel properly. I just put a new front on my 83 XL600R and had trouble seating the bead. The effort paid off and I can cruise @ 70mph. No need to balance or have my wheel trued, be sure to use lots of tire soap!

You should really adress that problem SOON,I had the same problem and it led to a very painfull tankslapper at high speed.Same problem:wheel improperly mounted/defective(what can you expect from a $36 tire?)and chassis set up to low up front.Get that wobble fixed and get a steering damper. Wobbles/tankslapers hurt.

I must be just lucky! always change my own tires and no problems. I use the tire black stuff and spray that on the bead and the tube (in fact I massage the tube with it prior to installation, then lip the tube into the tire casing , push the stem up through the rim and them push the bead onto the rim. Most times I can get 3/4 of teh tire onto the rim by hand / knee pressure (use carpenter knee pads), last 1/4 of tire I spoon on. check the tire to make sure the bead is set deep into the rim and then inflate - slight pop - pop as the bead is set upon inflation. then I roll em a bit to make sure they are true, check pressure, let set for an hour and check again (never install right away - should you have a leaky one). works for me! I did my Dunlop 606's that way and they are good to go!

The XRL is wobble-prone- I can feel my bike wanting to, the front feels a bit loose at speed, but it doesn't wobble on its own.

What tire did you mount up?

Dave