Valve adjustment?

I have an 06 yzf450 and I was wondering how many of you had to adjust your valves after the break in. Thanks for the info

Mine didn't need adjusting but still should be checked.

It rarely needs anything, but occasionally, one will settle into the seat very slightly, so it's worth checking. I now have two YZ450's that have never needed a valve adjustment.

Be advised that you will probably find them at the tight side of the spec range. They're built that way.

dont want to steal a thread or anything but i got an 03 450 that has a ticking from top end that increases with revs, did some searching but still not sure whats up, anybody know....thanks. the bike still starts first second kick so im not sure what it is..thanks.

dont want to steal a thread or anything but i got an 03 450 that has a ticking from top end that increases with revs, did some searching but still not sure whats up, anybody know....thanks. the bike still starts first second kick so im not sure what it is..thanks.

It's most probably because the valves are still in spec(have a gap); if there's no ticking, then you need to worry.

Mine were checked at 25 hours and not out of spec.

but thats the thing the bike runs good but there is a ticking, is this the valves???

Have you considered taking the rather bold, adventurous step of actually checking your valve clearances so you have some information to work with, or would you rather simply speculate infinitely?

yeah i know i was planing on checking them, just seemed like everyones been in the same boat so i just wanted to ask......its always good to have a very slight plan when trying to tackle any job. :thumbsup:

compression release needs adjustment.

oh........OK........yeah i didn't think that it was the valves, whats involved with the compression release???

oh and how soon does it need to be addressed???

If it is in need of adjustment sometimes it will be responsible for the ticking.

To test for that, all one needs to do is touch the lever at the head while the bike is idling and ticking. You should not be able to feel a definite shock in the lever from the lifter hitting it. If you do, that might very well be your problem. Check your valves anyway. It will be good for you.

how often do you guys check your valves? i have an 06 450 i checked it at 4 hours wich i figured would be about break in. what is a good hour interval to check them?