Try to do one thing and you end up with 3 wrongs! err...

Alright, went down to the dealer and got a steel heavy duty bolt for the axle.

That's not sound advice. What if they start pinching at 20 ft/lb?

I've heard that before, and I've seen the thread. I don't have that problem on my bikes. That is, when checking them after assembly, they don't snag anywhere in the stroke. To be fair, I don't use a torque wrench very much away from the engine, either, so I may be using less than 17 ft/lbs. But I'm certainly not using 8 or 9, I can tell you that.

One question, Im in the middle of tourqing everything to spec...in the manual it doesnt say triple clamp, it says Handlebar holder upper, and lower...20 and 29 lbs.

Then it says something above it 14 and 17 pounds or something?

What is the correct spec for upper mounts and lower mounts? Is the "Handlebar Holder (upper) and Handlebar Holder (lower)" the triple clamps?

Ahh, nevermind I get it...the Handlebar Holder must be the clamps that hold the handle bars to the triple clamps (Handlebar Crowns).

on the inside of the left fork gaurd there is a little extra bit of plastic that the brake line runs over . when your forks are compressed that little sucker rides on the neoprene seal saver . it does it on the other side too just not as bad. throw the bike in your truck or trailer and slowly and gently cinch down the front end until your fork gaurds come in contact with the seal savers and then you will see where it wil rub when riding.beleive me it will only take one ride to ruin those $25 seal savers. and i speak from exp. so what i did was went to the hardware store and found some stiff rubber tubing. stiff but still flexible and only big enough that you could run a tie down through it .then wrap the tubing around the area that rubs. it will keep the fork gaurd off the neoprene and save you $25. good luck . p.s. the other guy who mentioned positioning your fork gaurd doesnt seem to ride the 06 450 at least it's not listed . so he might not have the same problem. but the new bikes fork gaurds are a bit different design . i also ride a 426 and i have not had any problem .. all in all it's not that big of a deal but i'd hate for you to have the same problem i did so i thought i'd try and help you out.. by the way the 06 450 are sweeeeet. i love mine ...

on the inside of the left fork gaurd there is a little extra bit of plastic that the brake line runs over . when your forks are compressed that little sucker rides on the neoprene seal saver . it does it on the other side too just not as bad. throw the bike in your truck or trailer and slowly and gently cinch down the front end until your fork gaurds come in contact with the seal savers and then you will see where it wil rub when riding.beleive me it will only take one ride to ruin those $25 seal savers. and i speak from exp. so what i did was went to the hardware store and found some stiff rubber tubing. stiff but still flexible and only big enough that you could run a tie down through it .then wrap the tubing around the area that rubs. it will keep the fork gaurd off the neoprene and save you $25. good luck . p.s. the other guy who mentioned positioning your fork gaurd doesnt seem to ride the 06 450 at least it's not listed . so he might not have the same problem. but the new bikes fork gaurds are a bit different design . i also ride a 426 and i have not had any problem .. all in all it's not that big of a deal but i'd hate for you to have the same problem i did so i thought i'd try and help you out.. by the way the 06 450 are sweeeeet. i love mine ...

Already ruined them on the first ride like you said, only the left side is torn...never buying those stupid things agian.

By the way, those SealSavers are worth all of your trouble. They work great :thumbsup: I wish I invented them first :ride:

Today was just not my day...So I go out to buy some seal savers, then I put them on, put my front tire on, tourqe it to the 75lbs spec, and then I spin my front wheel, looks like the rim is bent...so I take the wheel off and inspect it, it looks fine, so I put it back on, but as Im screwing it back on and torquing it it just strips the threads...great...Then I take it off, and a coil of the aluminum falls off the axle. The axle itself looks fine, just the nut is stripped...I even had lithium grease on the threads, and the nut was screwing in fine.

Then after that I go to cut my zip ties from the fork seal savers and the sissors sliped out of my hand and tore a little hole in the brand new seal saver, then, to top it off while Im screwing my fork into the triple clamps my wrench slips off the socket and scratches my fork... :ride:

But I did get one thing done correctly and without any problems, my first valve check...ever. That was easy, and their in spec :thumbsup: .

So now I got a stripped nut which is going to hold me off for a few days, and I planned on going riding Monday, I got a scratched up fork (not much, just a minor little one, I put the Seal Saver sticker over it, looks fine now, and I have brand new seal savers and one has a little hole...none of this would have even happened if I didn't buy the things... :cry:

Oh! And one last thing to top it off, I was putting the screw through the shroud into the radiator then the damn thing would not want to line up, it was pissing me off and ended up taking me like 20 minutes on one simple thing... :ride:

Anyways, how was your day?

Hey, There is always fishing....