HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roadcam

home-made protective shifter plate ... photo

6 posts in this topic

I crash a lot (hard, and often) ... while changing my countershaft sprocket today, I see my left case is taking a pretty good beating from the shift lever ... for future protection, I snipped a piece of sheetmetal, and glued it onto the case with some silicone seal ... I didn't have any epoxy, etc., so when it falls off, I'll just make another ... I am hoping it will at least spread the blow over a larger area, and prevent a direct puncture ... only takes a minute, and its free ... free is good ... :ride:

photo here: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a368/roadcam/protectiveplate.jpg

looks good man, I like when dirtbikes fix there own bikes, my personal feeling is if you cant fix it dont ride it! but thats just me, I yelled at a buddy of mine that was takin his bike to the shop to have a back tire PUT ON!!! :ride: ...

That looks like it would spread the force pretty well if the shifter gets pushed agains the cover- an excellent mod.

Dave

Well i've been there,had to weld the case the first time and just epoxied it the next time.I made a plate too and believe me IT WORKS.just cut a circle of about 6" and open the center about 3" then cut it across 3"to 4" below the center. Be advised that youll have to bed/tweak it a little.I used a 1/8 thick ss plate,but anything is better than nothing. :ride:

thanks ... I see you managed to attach my photo, (whoops, its gone now .. ???)... do you have to be a paid subscriber to post attachments ? ... I'm not allowed to ... :ride: