Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
getdrunk

426 water pump leaking when hot.also runs super hot

12 posts in this topic

ok my 2002 426 runns rilly hot. i have a single pwr radiator on it. its off a quad the radiator. well any ways the motor gets rilly hot rilly fast. when it gets hot the water pump leaks rilly bad.

also it gets hot and if i stall it or shut it off when its hot it wont start till coold down. now if it runs this hot ill only be good for racing cause races are short. i want to do more than racing.i drive around my house out on my track and it jsut gets way to hot. it actualy feels like its running hotter than my air cooled 400ex motor. is this jsut how they run? hot and hard to start?

I'm not sure but this might have something to do with you starting it without oil or coolant. You're an idiot :ride:

Do that engine a favor and put a bullet in it, then do us all a favor and get off Thumpertalk. :ride:

I'm not sure but this might have something to do with you starting it without oil or coolant. Idiot :ride: Do that engine a favor and put a bullet in it, then do us all a favor and get off Thumpertalk. :ride:

do me a favor and try to be useful.

the radiator is a single not a dual but its bigger than dirt bike radiators plus its a pwr.

the yfz450 motor came from a bike but it uses a single radiator so that cant be y.

so why does the water pump leak when hot????????????

so why does the water pump leak when hot????????????

the hotter it is the more pressure will be in the coolant system. More pressure will find a weakness in the seals and manifest as a leak. That is my guess. So maybe you might need a new seal.

do me a favor and try to be useful.

Because after reading most of your posts I honestly believe that you can't truely be for real. I suspect you are either an alias or alter-ego created by another member here for kicks or maybe that's just got way too much time on his hands. Or, if you are legit then you ought to find a different hobby that doesn't require common sense. :ride:

the hotter it is the more pressure will be in the coolant system. More pressure will find a weakness in the seals and manifest as a leak. That is my guess. So maybe you might need a new seal.

so are u saying it needs seels or that its running to hot?

Im saying it needs the correct radiator for that bike, not of a quad. I see your improving a little bit on spelling, keep it up. Im being honest, get the right parts for your bike man, not off quads and from junk yards...if you get all the correct parts for that motor and install it all correctly, maybe everything will run fine.

First fix one issue with your engine before riding it and creating more problems...you wonder why your engine is a piece of crap, it's all on you...if you stop and listen for a minute before going out and trying stuff, then breaking stuff, making more threads about your broken engine because you just HAD to start it, HAD to run it, even though it's not ready...then, just maybe THEN it would work.

My 2 Cents,

-Mike

this is a common conversion. 400ex getting a yz426 motor. they always put a single radiator on it. the new sport quads come with bike motors in em and use single radiators. heres a pic. as you can see its a pwr radiator so it helps cool over stock and its bigger than 1 bike radiator so its about the same. in stead of 2 small radiators i got 1 big one. but if you look the radiator is kinda close to the header. today i ran fast in a open field and had no problums with the water pump.

pic>>> http://teamxracing.cjb.net/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=2330150

The thing has no cooling fan. So, if you are not moving then there is no air flow to cool the radiator. If you are going to start it and not ride it, do your motor a favor. Don't let it sit idling or revving it for more than 1 or 2 minutes.

The thing has no cooling fan. So, if you are not moving then there is no air flow to cool the radiator. If you are going to start it and not ride it, do your motor a favor. Don't let it sit idling or revving it for more than 1 or 2 minutes.

i dont. i dont let it idle for more than 10 secs usualy.

Sounds to me like your stahling problems and your running hot problems are all caused by running LEAN turn that air fuel screw OUT a 1/4 turn....