Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ronhend

YZ 450 Upgrades

16 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I have a 2006 YZ 450 and am ready to do some upgrading.

I want to replace the stock chain, what would be a good replacement inan O-ring chain??

Anyone have any experience with Sidewinder chains and Tri-Metal sprockets??

Also, at 6'3" I would like to raise my bars some, what wold be a good triple clamp? Pro-Taper P-3 ???

Thanks,

Ron

How much did you spend on the raisers? I'm 6'4" and put the button bend bars on. That helps a ton, but still looking for more? Been looking at droping my pegs but I do more trail riding than track and am afraid I will hang too low. Been looking at the fast way pegs but at $100, I'm thinking it may be easier to cut and re-weld? Also gonna take my seat to an upholstery shop to have some foam added to the seat. Any other things you guys do to make the bike more comfortable?

Not sure how much getting your seat done would cost but i just went out and bought a tall seat from SDG , it was $90 and well worth it!

I was going to go with a Regina ORN6 chian, because I hear very good things about it. But my buddy who I ride with owns a dealership and he hooked me up with a $100 dollar chain for like 30 bucks so I couldnt pass it up...it's a ERT2 Gold, and I been running it for about 15 hours now, and it's perfect, didnt even have to adjust it once, no rubbing on the case or frame, and I really like it. Ironmen sprockets are the way to go...Im still running the stock Sunstars because their brand new still.

As for the bar risers, I can't help ya out on that.

Try the windham bend protaper bars, I am 6-3 and I like them. As far as chain and sprockets go, I hear ironman sprockets are the best, although I run renthal for the price, and they seem to be pretty good also. For the chain I run the Renthal Gold, and have had good luck with that also, but again I hear that the Regina ORN6 is the best.

After turning my CRF450R into a fire breathing dragon of a bike, I decided that I wasn't going to mess with my YZF, so the only changes I'm going to make are new chain, sprockets, TM chain slider, ASV levers and maybe some radiator braces. How are the 06 YZ450's radiators? My Honda radiators were made out of paper I think. I might swap the bars from my Honda. I really like a low set of bars (RC bend Pro Tapers). What is the stock bend of the Yamaha?

After turning my CRF450R into a fire breathing dragon of a bike, I decided that I wasn't going to mess with my YZF, so the only changes I'm going to make are new chain, sprockets, TM chain slider, ASV levers and maybe some radiator braces. How are the 06 YZ450's radiators? My Honda radiators were made out of paper I think. I might swap the bars from my Honda. I really like a low set of bars (RC bend Pro Tapers). What is the stock bend of the Yamaha?

That's all your doing to your bike? That's more than it needs...it's not a Honda now... :ride: I went down hard a few times with my bike, landing on the sides, radiators are rock soild (so far *cross fingers now*) :ride:. If you like low bars, don't even bother changing them...the stock '06's are really low. I do hear the Honda's radiators are weak though, I know quite a few people with CRF's and had to replace them.

Come on you know your not fooling none of us red.. You will start tinkering on your new ride.. :ride:

Hi All,

I have a 2006 YZ 450 and am ready to do some upgrading.

I want to replace the stock chain, what would be a good replacement inan O-ring chain??

Anyone have any experience with Sidewinder chains and Tri-Metal sprockets??

Also, at 6'3" I would like to raise my bars some, what wold be a good triple clamp? Pro-Taper P-3 ???

Thanks,

Ron

i just came off the sidewinder stuff,i was not impressed with the krause ti chain (was good at first but then it went to heck quickly) the tri metal sprocket is great but i couldn't afford a new one so i went back to the sunstars. regina chain is great,this time i tried a parts unlimited x-ring chain thats made for P/U by EK. i'm quite impressed with it and its under $60 :ride:

Ours got:

Regina ORN6 chain ($65)

ASV levers (from the 250F)

Pro Taper Windham bars (Junior is 6'2"+, and needs them. I'm 5'10" and I like them).

Scotts oil filter

Dr.D full SS system

Jetting

D952/Maxxis IT

And a major lube job.

Come on you know your not fooling none of us red.. You will start tinkering on your new ride.. :ride:

Nope. Not screwing with it.

The stock bars are sort of tall for my style, but I like really short bars. I might swap my RC ProTapers off my Honda just to see if I like them.

You know.....................I love the stock bars and I'm 6' tall. I never liked a bike w/ high bars. I changed the front tire, jetted, new chain, air filter, oil filter , set my preload and clickers and now love the bike. It pulls so good from idle to rev limiter. :ride:

I wouldn't doubt it if there was one main O-ring dispensing plant and all the different companies put different names on the same stuff. Regina, renthal , sidewinder, buy whatever is the best price and make sure you get some new cheap steel sprockets and your set. if you don't change your sprockets with your new chain, your throwing away money. I understand that a heavier sprocket is added sprung weight, but for the majority of riders this is not going to change your lap times, just your maintenance times!!

I am 6'3" and love my lowered fastway pegs and tall Renthal RC bars. the tall RC bars were about 1 3/4" taller the stock. The lowered pegs are not too bad for bush riding, it's only 1/2 inch but they are nice and fat for the size 12 boots!

Here's what I've done to mine so far to make it a trail cruiser- Windham bars with 10mm risers, Rally Pro handguards with GYT-R triple clamp mounts, WC rad cages, WC skid plate , RK X-ring, TM slider, ZipTy fuel screw, magnetic drain plug, and hot start nut, PMB sparky, and a MaxxCross SI front tire. My next step is sending my suspension to a TT member to have him work his voodoo magic on the fork and shock (mostly the fork).