HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dustin_Mabro

Valve/Cam pictures

6 posts in this topic

I was checking the valves on my '00 yz426 sunday and came up with really tight measurements. Since i haven't anyone that has ever done this before i was wondering if anyone had pictures with instructions. I used the motoman instructions but am second guessing myself.

I did find pictures a couple weeks ago that went along with a few instructions but they have since been taken down.

Thanks much

Its been awhile since I checked my valves, but as I recall it was pretty straight forward. I do remember that I had to pull out my long feeler guages, the short ones (like I use for spark plugs) were just too short and the hanlde was in the way.

The 2000 426 has steel valves. I did an adjustment on them once, a long time ago, then I used to check them like every 6 months for 3 years or so, and they were always in spec. I don't think I've even looked at them for over 18 months. The 01 and later models, like the CRFs have titanium valves and need to be checked, adjusted, and replaced quite often.

This Link is for a 250F, so forget the clearance specs you see and use the ones from your manual. The pictures, though, may as well be of a 426, they are so near the same.

Its been awhile since I checked my valves, but as I recall it was pretty straight forward. I do remember that I had to pull out my long feeler guages, the short ones (like I use for spark plugs) were just too short and the hanlde was in the way.

The 2000 426 has steel valves. I did an adjustment on them once, a long time ago, then I used to check them like every 6 months for 3 years or so, and they were always in spec. I don't think I've even looked at them for over 18 months. The 01 and later models, like the CRFs have titanium valves and need to be checked, adjusted, and replaced quite often.

I've had my '01 for 5 years now, and have only had to adjust the valves once. :ride:

sweet, thanks grayracer. thats exactly what i was looking for.

I like pictures and those helped me to realize i did go through the procedure correctly. Unfortunately now knowing that i measured the clearance correctly now tells me that i have to re-shim the valves :ride:

more stuff that I've never done

THANKS GUYS :ride: