Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
barch88

Best tire for sandy track?

15 posts in this topic

I just read about a new tire from Pirelli in one of the magazines, that is suppossed to be "The" tire for sand only. I think it was one of the Scorpion line.

I'll have to look for the issue....they said some of the Pro's were using it at Southwick. One thing about it..is that it's for sand only; and not to be used for hardpack or you will be on your Azz. I'll find the issue, and post.

:ride:

i use a pirelli scorpioncross at southwick. its unreal but but completely useless if there is anything but sand on your track.

Michelin S12 all day long. So far that is the best sand tire that I have found. I actually run it all the time, an I ride cross country in Texas. Most tracks have a mixture of sand, loam, and hardpack. It holds up pretty well and grips pretty well in all conditions. I just changed it the other day after 6 (50 mile) races.

Michelin S12 all day long. So far that is the best sand tire that I have found. I actually run it all the time, an I ride cross country in Texas. Most tracks have a mixture of sand, loam, and hardpack. It holds up pretty well and grips pretty well in all conditions. I just changed it the other day after 6 (50 mile) races.

Ditto, the S-12 is an awesome all around tire. The star cross tire is also very good.

If you ride the S12 in anything besides sand all it does is rip entire side knobs off.

If you ride the S12 in anything besides sand all it does is rip entire side knobs off.

I have been using the tires in enduro races were there is a lot of rock riding and I don't see anymore wear on the s-12's than anyother tire.

If you are going to ride terrain that has both dirt and sand, yes, the S-12 is the way to go. If you are going to just ride dunes like Pismo or Glamis the paddle tire would be best.

After riding with a 756 for two weekends and then going to an S-12. I am for now in favor of the S-12. It stuck to the trail. All sandy conditions with an occasional hard pack trail. First time using S-12 and am very impressed.