new piston

How many hours on the engine until you should replace the piston on a 2004 YZ450. I don't race. I just ride for fun--tracks and trails.

I don't know that I can give you a good number as a rule for that. I would say to replace it when a valve job is needed, but my '03 doesn't need a valve adjustment yet. :ride:

I don't know that I can give you a good number as a rule for that. I would say to replace it when a valve job is needed, but my '03 doesn't need a valve adjustment yet. :ride:

Dang how many hours do you have on your 03? So basically all you do for your YZF's is replace the cam chain every year, and replace the piston and/or rings when a valve job is needed?

There is no good way to tell when its time to freshen up, keeping the oil changed and the air filter clean is a big factor to engine life.

Here is what I do:

Rings, valve seals, valve springs, and cam chain.....replaced once a year.

Piston.....replaced every 2 years.

I did replace all the valves last winter, because the center intake tightened up twice and I don't like taking any chances.

I change my oil every 2 rides, I clean the air filter after every ride. I probably replace to much, but I ride every weekend (that is possible) and I don't want any mechanical break downs.

I use the same routine on the 250F as well.