HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
letter

new piston

4 posts in this topic

How many hours on the engine until you should replace the piston on a 2004 YZ450. I don't race. I just ride for fun--tracks and trails.

I don't know that I can give you a good number as a rule for that. I would say to replace it when a valve job is needed, but my '03 doesn't need a valve adjustment yet. :ride:

I don't know that I can give you a good number as a rule for that. I would say to replace it when a valve job is needed, but my '03 doesn't need a valve adjustment yet. :ride:

Dang how many hours do you have on your 03? So basically all you do for your YZF's is replace the cam chain every year, and replace the piston and/or rings when a valve job is needed?

There is no good way to tell when its time to freshen up, keeping the oil changed and the air filter clean is a big factor to engine life.

Here is what I do:

Rings, valve seals, valve springs, and cam chain.....replaced once a year.

Piston.....replaced every 2 years.

I did replace all the valves last winter, because the center intake tightened up twice and I don't like taking any chances.

I change my oil every 2 rides, I clean the air filter after every ride. I probably replace to much, but I ride every weekend (that is possible) and I don't want any mechanical break downs.

I use the same routine on the 250F as well.