XR 600 - oil change interval and weight?

just curious, how often (in miles or hours) do you change your oil? also, what weight oil do you use? I have been using a 20-50 weight oil and it seems to work fine, but have not determined how often I need to change the oil.

I'm using Rotella 15W-40. I used to run 20W-50. I wouldn't go any thinner than the Rotella. Since this oil is only about $7 to $8 a gallon, I change it as soon as it starts changing color. I'm not writing it down, but I think it's every 6 to 8 or so rides. Maybe 350 to 400 miles. It depends on the kind or riding. If I do a clutch fest ride, like Snowy, or high engine loading, like sand dunes, I might change it after 1 ride. If I'm doing a lot of high speed desert cruising, I might go 1000 miles.

I change the filter every other time.

If you are draining the oil, and the viscosity is way down, you waited too long.

1995 XR650L Purchased new in May 1996 closing in on 60,000 hard miles, fast.

I use Honda brand paper oil filers, which I change once a year. Quaker State 10w-40 since about 1999 after replacing the original clutch.

I change the oil about once every 6 months. It turns black usually in the first week, or 180 miles. Oil loss is at about a quart every two weeks, I simply add more.

Stock gearing, stock jetting, stock exhaust, smog removed. Runs like a noisy watch, at 56mpg. The favorite of all my bikes.

When I had my XR400, it got an oil change the night before a desert race only. After that race add about a thousand miles of practice between races.

Don't baby it.