HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteadyEddy

Hard starting, 03WR, and valves are still in speck

15 posts in this topic

Hey,

I have tried the search tool, but no luck.

My bike used to start straight away, but now it takes more then a few turns of the motor and I have found that I need to blip the throttle twice before attempting to start it. Have checked the clearances and they are fine. It idles fine, rides fine. I was going to pull off the carby next and see if I can clean it or something.....

Cheers

I've always given it two squirts of the accelerator pump before I try to start it. It's winter there now, has the weather changed dramatically recently. You may to need richen the pilot or maybe even just the fuel screw. Do you choke it to start. It probably wouldn't hurt to clean the carb but try the simple stuff first.

Put in a 72 starter jet and you wont need to blip the throttle. It is winter in Australia and these bikes need good jetting for cold starting. :ride:

Yes it is winter here, but I have had the bike for 3 winters and no problem like this before, even when it is warm i need to prim it with the throttle, its hard to explain, i can just feel that something is different.

I haven't ever really fiddle round with the carby at all, I bought it with all the mods done, and carby already sorted out for me. Maybe its time to play round with the settings :ride:

It's a good thing you stated right off that you tried a search first. Clark would have been pissed otherwise.

Valve seats may be worn. :ride:

hmm could be, it did suck some dirt a few weeks ago, I had to reshim the inlet valves. (the screw came loose where the air boot conects to the craby, lucky it was wet and I was up front that day, but it still must of done some damge ) But again my problem was before that aswell......

My 03 is the best starting bike I have ever had! When cold I twist the throttle full open three times with the choke on and bam it's running. Why mess with that? You did not say if you had backfiring or poping at low speed. Clean out the carb and be sure to check the hot start plunger to see if it bottoms. Good luck.

My 03 is the best starting bike I have ever had! When cold I twist the throttle full open three times with the choke on and bam it's running. Why mess with that? You did not say if you had backfiring or poping at low speed. Clean out the carb and be sure to check the hot start plunger to see if it bottoms. Good luck.

She pops a fair bit when I back off the gas, and use engine braking to slow down.

What do you mean about the hot start plunger? and see if it bottoms out?

If you can, try swapping out the ignition coil from another bike. WR & YZ 450 from 2003 and newer all take the same coil.

My bike has burned through 2 coils and every time it did, I would drive myself nuts trying to solve a pilot jet fuel problem to no avail. Symptoms were always hard starting and stalling during idle.

Sounds like a dirty carb to me, too. I took the carb off my '99 a couple of weeks ago and it was filthy. It made a huge difference after it was clean. That will become part of my periodic maintenance from now on.

Thanks for the input, i attempted to take the carb off last night .... What a pain in the butt.

I going to follow the manual on this one

Thanks for the input, i attempted to take the carb off last night .... What a pain in the butt.

I going to follow the manual on this one

After you do it 2 or 3 times it gets real easier. After you do it 20 times like I have in the last 2 years, you can do it in your sleep.

Be thankful you don't have the aluminum framed 07. Taking a carb out of the alm frames in a real PIA according to the guys I know with CRFs.