HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aussie 54

Plating a WR in Canada.

14 posts in this topic

How hard and is it possible to register and plate a WR 450 (05 model) in Alberta Canada, I just moved from Aus not long ago and don't really know or understand the @#$%ing regulations over here. PS. anyone else had trouble with the front fork seals leaking, taken the bike back 2 times to the dealer.... Told me they replaced them once. Ha Ha, starting to become a bit annoying as it's only 9 mths old. Any help is much appreciated.

How hard and is it possible to register and plate a WR 450 (05 model) in Alberta Canada, I just moved from Aus not long ago and don't really know or understand the @#$%ing regulations over here. PS. anyone else had trouble with the front fork seals leaking, taken the bike back 2 times to the dealer.... Told me they replaced them once. Ha Ha, starting to become a bit annoying as it's only 9 mths old. Any help is much appreciated.

Not sure on the plating. But the fork seals, loosen the pinch bolt at the axle and compress the forks several times as far down as you can then tighten the pinch bolts back up. If the fork tubes arent parallel, it can create early seal leaks. I had lots of trouble with seals on my old 01 WR426F, so far, 650 miles on my 04 WR450F, no seal leaks as of yet.

Here in Ontario it's not hard at all to plate an 05 WR. It gets tricky with the 06.

You will have to get a safety done by a mechanic,this may include putting some signals,brake light and horn on it, buy some insurance and bring it all down to the DMV.

Oh and I had my 05 fork seels leek I changed them and have been using the lithium grease under the wiper as described in the manual, also been using the velcro seal savers which I remove and clean after every ride. Did that through the winter so far so good.

Have you checked out www.electrosport.com for the lighting/ signals.

I am not sure about Alberta but in B.C. all you have to do is take your registration into the insurance office register and insure it. They hand you a plate with no questions asked no inspection or anything. I insured both my 02' WR426 and my wifes 05' WR250. It is a piece of cake to do. The only thing you have to worry about is getting pulled over without DOT tires, signal lights, brake light, horn and mirrior. Alberta seems to have pretty lax laws as well I would bet it is easy to do there as well. If not register it in B.C. first and then move it into Alberta. Good luck.

I got the local dealer to register mine, no problems at all, I told him I put a dual sport kit on her and that was all there was to it, no inspections, no mechanics or garages.

I am not sure about Alberta but in B.C. all you have to do is take your registration into the insurance office register and insure it. They hand you a plate with no questions asked no inspection or anything. I insured both my 02' WR426 and my wifes 05' WR250. It is a piece of cake to do. The only thing you have to worry about is getting pulled over without DOT tires, signal lights, brake light, horn and mirrior. Alberta seems to have pretty lax laws as well I would bet it is easy to do there as well. If not register it in B.C. first and then move it into Alberta. Good luck.

The same is true here if you were the first buyer, a safety is required if the bike is used.

Seems the 06's have a number in the vin that red flags in their computer when registering. We get the same plugged up crap the states get now. A buddy went from an 03 to an 06 and was having a hard time at MTO.

He told the girl "It's the same bike ,only newer". She called the dealer and he told her it was a dual sport and he got the plate. No Baja designs kit, no questions.

New Brunswick is very lax as well. The deaLer brought in the regi: and the Motor vechicles gave him plates for the road. We don't need any inspection on our bikes YET!!!!

:ride::ride:

Lit_dueler

Hey Aussie 54,

I currently have an 04 that is registered and insured for street use here in Alberta. But I bought the bike used and it was the previous owner who jumped through all the hoops. So I am no help there, but from what the previous owner said, the installation of the TrickDualSport kit (or any dual sport kit) was key in the process.

Cheers.

Easy as can be.

Just take the bill of sale and your insurance to any registry office. Tell them you want to plate your bike. They'll ask if it's street legal, you say yes, they hand you a plate, and you're on your way.

Technically, you require DOT tires, a horn, hi/low headlight, tail/brake light, and a mirror. Signal lights are not required, but will make your life much easier and safer.

Waxy

The answer is, it depends. I've plated a few off road bikes in Canada and like the US it will vary from juristication to juristication, and even from different license bureaus within the same. It is simply not well understood by them, and that can work to your advantage... or against you! Having a dealer do it saves a lot of trouble, but perhaps adds some cost.

As noted, the dirt-bike plating "loop holes" are closing as computer systems get updated and it's only a matter of time before the window closes. I've heard that street plated XR650's in Quebec cannot be renewed now and some newer model VIN numbers "tattle" on you when you go to register! We need to face the fact that these are NOT street legal bikes. The only real solution ultimately will come along when the manufacturers sell street legal enduro bikes (vs. just traditional dualsports) as with Husqvarna (US) and now the new KTM's.