HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
waynus

Gearbox Issue

9 posts in this topic

Bought 2006 WR450 last week and now getting paranoid after reading recent posts re gearboxes.

I knew they were an achilles heel when I bought the bike but thought that I'd be able to baby it.

However on riding on just a little bitumen, there seems to be helluva lot of chain snatch when on/off the throttle.

Do youse reckon that this could be the major contributing factor considering there is no cush drive as on road bikes? :ride:

Wayne

The WR 5 speed gearbox is very reliable. I have heard of 5th gear going with excessive high speed riding with desert loads. Dont worry about the chain slap it is a high compression single piston motor so that is unavoidable but is not a refelction of gearbox loading. :ride:

I have a fairly new 06 as well and since I've tightened my chain the slap has gone way down. I think a well aligned chain will solve some of the slap, and 'snap' that your feeling.

ok ... tightening the chain is not necessarily a bad thing in itself as long as you don't over-do it. An over-tight chain at 'rest' can be under stress at full compression stroke - eg large whoops or a decent jump. This in turn overloads the countershaft bearing which can cause nasty gearbox problems. A little slap is not a big price to pay for some peace of mind as it reminds you that your chain is not over-tight

just my $0.02 (Australian currency, please allow for the conversion rate)

The WR 5 speed gearbox is very reliable. I have heard of 5th gear going with excessive high speed riding with desert loads. Dont worry about the chain slap it is a high compression single piston motor so that is unavoidable but is not a refelction of gearbox loading. :ride:

Sure is nice to see Indy in here.......... :ride:

I have a fairly new 06 as well and since I've tightened my chain the slap has gone way down. I think a well aligned chain will solve some of the slap, and 'snap' that your feeling.

Just dont over do it!

Sit on your bike and feel how tight the chain is and then allow for for jumps,bumps etc, as your back wheel moves up the chain will get even tighter.

Oh yeah of course. A friend of mine and myself did it. I leaned over the seat and grabbed the swing arm, forcing the seat down and the rear wheel up. Once the sprocket and rear axle were aligned, my buddy checked the slack. I forget the recommended allowance doing it this way, but it was in line with the way and measurement described in the manual.

Follow the recommendations in the manual.

Take your nylon swingarm slider off, apply some silicone RTV to the bottom(the side that contacts the swingarm), reapply the slider. Wait overnight.

No more chain slap noise. Its still there but you can't hear it...keep the chain within tightness spec.

No Problems.

That reminds me, a good time to check chain slack is when you've got the shocky out undone to grease linkages, you can easily lift the rear wheel to check for optimum chain tension, bearing in mind that I think you have to allow extra for muddy conditions. :ride: