HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
raven-9

torque settings?

6 posts in this topic

i got a mate in need of some torque settings for his XR 600 ( my old bike )

does anyone know a link or a manual available for the XR 600 - 94 model.

much appreciated for anyones help :ride:

al i need is the head torque settings?

anyone!

a manual would be great but if all i can get is the head settings id be happy

clymer say's. for 500 and 600 cc engines. / cylinder head cover bolts- 6mm, 8mm, 1988- on, 23 n.m, or 17 ft.lb. / cylinder head bolts. xr600r 1988- on, 36 n.m, or 26 ft.lb. this what the manual i have say's. ( honda xl/xr 500-650 singles. 1979-1995.) hope this helps.

raven-9....don't go 17 ft/lbs on the 6mm cylinder head/cam cover bolts, this value is for the 8mm center bolt. The 6mm bolts will strip easily, I've been wrenching XR engines since '84, I stay with 5-6 ft/lbs on these bolts (book says 7), same with the side cover bolts, no problems. Cylinder head bolts are 26 ft/lbs. To obtain proper torque readings, the threads must be in good condition, clean and free of debris and corrosion. The threads should be lubricated in order to get accurate torque readings, I use anti-sieze to inhibit corrosion between the steel bolts and the aluminum component threads.

hi creeky, this is tim. thanks for the heads up on the 6 and 8 mm bolts. raven i hope i did not mislead you. i plan on doing some work on mine and i would have been S.O.L. tim