06 450 need some help

Two areas where I need some help. On the front fender, the portion nearest the frame on top, there is oil on it and I cannot fine where it is coming from. It is far enough down the fender that it does not look like it is coming from the steering steem and no oil on the frame, any ideas. Also on the vent tube, can I take out the vent valve and just use the vent hose without the valve as other bikes do. I was jumping through a set of doubles and the bike kept dying. A friend said I did not know what I was doing and tried, same thing. When he took off the gas cap it shot up and presue was let off. Put his vent tube on and I had no problems, he does not have the valve, so is it okay too run without it? thanks alot.

that's very weird..is that vent valve installed in the wrong direction? seems like thats the issue - or it's gummed up.

I would definitely drop the front end out and check the steering bearings. Mine was basically dry new....no other place that could come from that I can think of.

I had originally put an aftermarket vent cap ( trick) on the bike and when it clogged up I put the stock hose back on with the vent valve, it is on right. Yesterday while riding the same track same thing happened. Took off gas cap and pressure was let off, put the gas cap back on and you can hear the bubbling from inside the tank.

That crap on your front fender is that gas that is running out of your vent line down your steering stem.....took me a while to figure out where mine was coming from. Smell it....it will probably smell like gas.

I just ignored it.....but my bike doesn't die from it. I was thinking about buying one of those clear tubes w/colored caps....(huge rip off), to see if it will cure the gas from spewing out.

Let me know what you find.

Two areas where I need some help. On the front fender, the portion nearest the frame on top, there is oil on it and I cannot fine where it is coming from. It is far enough down the fender that it does not look like it is coming from the steering steem and no oil on the frame, any ideas. Also on the vent tube, can I take out the vent valve and just use the vent hose without the valve as other bikes do. I was jumping through a set of doubles and the bike kept dying. A friend said I did not know what I was doing and tried, same thing. When he took off the gas cap it shot up and presue was let off. Put his vent tube on and I had no problems, he does not have the valve, so is it okay too run without it? thanks alot.

if it is actually oil on your fender, then it's probably the oil seperating from the grease in the lower steering stem bearing. which is probably doubtful if the bike hasn't been serviced. from the factory, grease is used very sparingly.

most likely it's fuel residue from the overflow tube which is stuck in the center of the steering stem.

if you descide to remove the vent valve on the hose from the fuel tank, you'll notice more fuel residue on the machine. most of us would recommend leaving some sort of vent valve on the tank. if you don't like the long stock hose, you can purchase an aftermarket shorty hose with an anodized vent.

also be sure that the stock vent is installed in the correct direction. it supposed to allow air into the tank but not allow sloshing fuel out.

I have been through two of the anodized vent caps. First cap leaked gas terrible, second one leaked at first then stopped up, now I am back tothe stock hose with the valve that is stopped up as well. While we are on the subject can I clean the vent valves and that help, with something like brake cleaner?

The oil is from excess grease in the center of the steering stem that's being washed out by gasoline dripping out of the vent hose. Don't worry about it. The one way valve is intended to let air in freely, to vent the tank and allow fuel to exit freely, but resist the outflow of fuel. If it works as it should it isn't abnormal for them to hold a noticeable amount of pressure for a short time.

There is an arrow on the valve that is supposed to point TO the tank. Be sure it's pointed the right way.