Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
motobark

Clarke tank on '06 YZ450

12 posts in this topic

Finally had a chance to put my new Clarke tank on my ’06 YZ450. With all the talk about bigger tanks and making the stock tank bigger I figured I’d post some pics and feedback on the Clarke tank.

I’ve had 2 Clarke tanks and 1 GYTR (Acerbis) tank, I’ve been happy with the Clarke tanks so far. This one seems like it’ll be fine, it bolted up with no problems and fits pretty good. I ordered a stock WR450 petcock so I didn’t have to loop the hose around and also I wanted to keep my stock tank intact. (I use the stock tank 90% of the time, I actually put a WR450 reserve petcock in it too.)

I heard some things about the IMS tanks not fitting around the shrouds very well, this tank fits fine. It moves the tops of the shrouds out about a half an inch from the sides of the radiators, doesn’t seem to be a problem so far. Everything lined right up and clearances look fine. Since I’m picky about a light bike, I weighed the stock tank and the Clarke tank and was surprised to see the Clarke was actually about ½ pound lighter! (Without fuel, duh. With fuel it'll be about 6 pounds heavier than a full stock tank.)

As you can see, I marked the tank every ½ gallon so I can tell exactly how much range I have left when I’m riding. That’s one of the nice things about clear aftermarket tanks, I wish you could actually tell how much fuel is in the stock black one! BTW, they originally had this tank listed as 2.8 gallons, but when I got it the paperwork said 2.6Gal. I measured over 2.8Gal into it when I was marking it so not sure why they called it a 2.6.

IMG_4609.jpgIMG_4585.jpgIMG_4537.jpgIMG_4504.jpg

Looks good, so does your frame! Is the IMS the one with the spot for the kickstarter in the tank (around tank)?

that bike is too pretty to ride....and you woods guys say Motocross is a fashion show! LOL

What kind of steering stabilizer are you using? Thinking about getting one, but don't want to weld anything. Did it make a noticable difference?

Scotts, the ONLY one as far as I'm concerned. I've used Scotts dampers for years, I wouldn't ride without one (at least the way I like to ride). I consider a steering stabilizer a safety item, they've saved me from crashing many times. Most of the Scotts kits bolt on so don't worry about having to weld on anything. Yes, it's a noticable difference.

that bike is too pretty to ride....and you woods guys say Motocross is a fashion show! LOL

Thanks Satch, I take good care of my bikes so they're worth more when I go to sell. That way I can get a new bike more often! Plus I like to have my bikes looking and working like new for as long as I keep them. (Even if it's 20 years like one of the bikes I still have.) And I don't care how clean and shiny my bike is, I'll still ride the cr#p out of it.

Oh, and I'm more of an MX guy than a woods guy anyway! Thanks for linking to this thread from the other fuel capacity one.

Whats that dot on your red sticker?

That's a sound check sticker that Hollister used to use, I'm not sure if they actually still use them. I like to have that on there so I don't get hassled about sound. When they see that they at least know I've passed the sound test before.

That's the biggest reason I bought an FMF TiQ, the rangers take one look at it and don't even think twice about sound testing it. I've built a bunch of mufflers that were spark arrester and 96db sound test legal, but convincing the rangers of that was a pain. I haven't been bothered at all about how loud my bike is since I've had the TiQ on it. (Not that it's too loud, it does pass at 97 or so last time I checked.)

motobark, thanks for the pics. Would you mind getting one of the rads so I can see how the shrouds are pushed out?

Thanks for the pics...I wasn't even aware Clarke had released its tank for the '06 yet...they were a bit behind IMS.

Doug

Ok, here's some pics of the shrouds and radiators and some questions answered...

I wasn't even aware Clarke had released its tank for the '06 yet...they were a bit behind IMS.

Yeah, I was waiting quite awhile, they started taking orders on the Clarke tanks about a month ago.

Hey MB, are you running any rad gaurds and if so, does the Clarke tank work well with them?

No, I don't run rad guards , I've never been a big fan of them. They add a little weight and cost almost as much as a rad repair. I just try not to crash! Knock on wood, I haven't smashed any radiators since they've been putting them on dirtbikes. (My first water cooled bike was in '83.) I'll be smashing mine on my next ride now that I've said that!

Hopefully the pictures will answer your radiator guard questions. I think if anything there would be more clearance for guards the way it moves the shrouds out at the top?

Some answers to some PM questions,

The fuel line comes with the tank.

The petcock was for an '05 WR450 I believe, ordered it off the Thumpertalk OEM store, whatever year was the newest that they listed. Any one from the last 5 years or so WR426 or 450 should work fine.

The Clarke tank uses the stock mounting points, you don't have to use the stock brackets that are on the stock tank though. The Clarke tank is basically molded around where the bolts go through the front and the back of the tank. Seems fine to me, less stuff to transfer over when I'm switching tanks back and forth. I ordered a stock seat mount post so I don't have to move it from tank to tank.

Glad I could help guys.

IMG_4639.jpg

IMG_4644.jpg

IMG_4647.jpg