HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2012 450 xc-w

Dumb ass question????

8 posts in this topic

Overfilled my oil by a few cc's. Pulled oilcheck bolt, very little oil seemed to come out (just dripping lightly). Still reading high on stick. What are the ramifications of running a little too much oil in bike? 06yz450

I myself say run it, if it's overfilled too much it should come out of the overfill hose, assuming your sure you didn't overfill it A LOT. I overfilled my oil last oil change, didn't even notice till I just changed my oil the other day, it seemed fine when I was running it.

's what I thought. Put in the reccomended 1.0L of oil and changed filter. Seems to be overfilled though. Haven't had this prob before.

It's 1.27 with the Filter change. Check out my OIL thread, someone helped me out on how to figure out how much oil I exactly need.

In order for the overfill drain bolt to function as designed, you need to run the engine long enough to purge the sump, then let it sit for 10 minutes or so to let the excess run back from the reservoir. It may not entirely eliminate an overfill all the way down to the line on the stick, but once done, this procedure will get it to an operable level.

Overfilled my oil by a few cc's. Pulled oilcheck bolt, very little oil seemed to come out (just dripping lightly). Still reading high on stick. What are the ramifications of running a little too much oil in bike? 06yz450

Running too much oil puts undue stress(from the higher pressure coz of less air space) on the engine components.