Steel Framed Purists Unite!...A bit of an editorial

MXJunky Rules! Check it out: MXJunky. Yeah, baby! So, can anybody tell MXJunky how to properly install a crossbar pad? The stock blue pad on the '05 WR Renthals is so, like, two model years ago.

Yeah people with that many posts seem like predators.....well,maybe not, but creepy for sure. I was just trying to find the word on the alum.WR :ride:

I've read this thread and still don't really know what it's about.. Steve, if you're looking for respect for your opinions, the internet is a horrible place for that. Since I'm older than you and ride all the time I guess I'm allowed to comment on your personal views regarding steel vs aluminum framed motorcycles (as long as my reply is longer than one sentence). But I'm not sure this is about the bike or respect... If this is over the aluminum frame, I welcome it, yep that's right, I'm an old (I turn 40 this week) non-Dew drinking dude that welcomes the newest WR and all of its changes.. Why?? Because I believe Yamaha has done a fantastic job of updating their WRs throughout the nine years of production and have no reason to think otherwise, they've never disappointed me.. If they can get the CG just a little bit lower I think we'd have a winner... You also say that the younger (disrespectful) WR TTr is welcoming the bike and its improvements even before smelling the bike, you're doing the exact same thing, don't ya think? You have instantly made a firm position on the bike and how it will be with an aluminum frame.

The 07 WR450 will not be like the Honda CRF450X it will be its own bike and have its own identity... If you looked at the 2006 Baja 500 results you'll find that the race course was stacked full of CRF450X's, they were everywhere.... Those bikes did great! I have friends that own the aluminum framed Honda 450's, they absolutely love them, to each his own....

I plan on riding my 05 another year and get an 08 with EFI... We'll have the same debate when that comes too, just wait...

If this is about respect.. I have respect for you, in my opinion you're a valuable member that helps out a lot of people... I used to do it more but just got a little burned out on the same questions, I'm still here though... Thumpertalk is still my favorite site on the net..

Dan :ride:

I have no idea what this is about either......Getting old and grumpy, ALUM vs steel, punk kids, who knows....who cares...

If you disagree with a post made by someone, reply with your reasons why, this is a great site for info, if you have more knowledge speak up and educate.

If you don't like what you see, leave.....it really is that simple.

this forum is becoming more and more like the honda forums.

and by the way, im with you clark. give me steel frames, tall stance, range in my tank and higher compression. the 04 was the last of the great wr's.

VIVA!!!

i whole heartedley concur my steel framed brother

I have no idea what this is about either......Getting old and grumpy, ALUM vs steel, punk kids, who knows....who cares...

If you disagree with a post made by someone, reply with your reasons why, this is a great site for info, if you have more knowledge speak up and educate.

If you don't like what you see, leave.....it really is that simple.

I couldn't agree more. I don't follow either the Dew or Geritol crowd and when I'm out on the trails, nothing is further from my mind than whether or not I'm crashing my brains out on an aluminum or steel framed machine.

BTW, I do actually prefer steel frames. I find it easier wrench on certain componants with just a small tube in the way versus a big chunk o' aluminum box tubing. Just my humble opinion.

Funny thread. I got a kick out of it. Being the moderate that I am I have takes on both sides of the fence. First off I am old and fully admit it. This being my 40th year I have literally 37 years riding experience. Most recreational but there were a few races in there. I have ridden so many bikes I can't even remember. There was a Maco 500 that ripped my damm 14 year old arms off, and the 1972 Yamie Enduro 60 that I got tagged on by a dude riding an XR way to fast in a known kid riding area, and there is my current love my '05 WR450 with all free mods and a Mega Bomb header and Q2 exhaust. Enough of the qualifications...

One of the truest things I have ever heard in my life was "The best set of clubs don't make you Arnold Palmer" (For those of you under 25 think a white Tiger Woods.) That is certainly true for dirt bikes. While my WR has made a better rider is doesn't make me Johnny Campbell.

Technology of dirt bikes has slowed to a crawl. Try and think of the last major tech break through on dirt bikes, one that gave a company a significant advantage over another. The difference between a steel frame and an AL frame is incremental at best. Yes the AL frame is lighter and stiffer but the actual bike ends up heavier because of the added need for an oil sump and pump. The stiffness advantage is debatable. There are some that swear they can feel the difference and it makes it a better bike. I can actually feel the difference between an AL frame and a steel frame and don’t like it. I like the predictability of the flex on a steel frame. It is what I grew up with and what I know.

The most significant advantage of the WR going to an AL frame is the change in riding characteristics. The bike is actually heavier than my ’05 but it probably feels a lot lighter than mine. That is what 8mm lower engine and narrower engine tilt will do for a dirt bike. For an “A” level desert rider that can and does make a difference. Not necessarily making them faster but a different and potentially more enjoyable ride.

All that said I won’t be upgrading my bike this year. Even though admittedly the AL frame is kind of sexy and I am sure Yamie will be doing everything in their power to tempt old farts with dough like myself to part with our hard earned cash for a newer sexier bike (See the old wife analogy you married guys?). I love my bike and for now won’t part with it. I will probably go with EFI after a year to work out the problems. I ride all kinds of elevations and being able to load a fuel map before a ride appeals to me a great deal.

While my monologue was about the AL vs steel frame the original post on this thread wasn’t...not really. To that end I fully agree with Clark. I ride OW a great deal and see all kinds, but the ones that irritate me the most are the 20 somethings that just don’t give a rats azz about anything but themselves. We have finally gotten to a generation of humans that are so self involved I am concerned that the human race might actually end. Sure each generation has had it’s wild bunch (I was one of them in my generation) but what I have seen lately, especially out riding really makes me think that we have raised a generation of over stimulated, over indulged young adults.

Current young adults have grown up in an ever increasing world of hype and stimulation. While I don’t agree with the argument that violent video games and/or TV leads to violence directly certainly no one can disagree that it desensitizes players or views to violence. Further, young adults have grown up with a warped sense of morals. Not the church going bible thumping morals (Although that might have solved the problems of today if youth had religion of some sort), but morals of what is right and what is wrong in a civilized society. Morality took a nose dive when the leader of the free world got a blow job in the oval office; lied about it, then said it wasn’t sex. For any of you that have daughters or are married for that matter, you know it is sex and the thought of a lecherous old man whipping out is Johnson for your baby to suck on is morally wrong no matter what the President or the press says.

All and all our current batch of people coming into adulthood does not give me a comforting feeling that the world will be a good place for my daughters when they reach adulthood. I know there are exceptions, and I also know that riding dirt bikes lends me to a specific set of people, but that was kind of the point wasn’t it? Young dirt bike riders (with notable exceptions) are self involved pricks that need to boost their own horrible decisions in life by justifying them, like the one that will sink them deep into debt for years because they wanted an AL frame.

out

I agree with everything you said imdickie, except Clinton having sex. Every president sense George Washington have had sexual relations in the oval office. Its there executive privilege. :ride::ride:

I'm confused. I'm 42, ride an '05 WR 450, I've made a few posts here, but I'm too lazy to read the manual so I just ask the question on this board. I'm not sure what a Unibiker is, but I do own a unitard. Where do I fit in?

Indy, if you're out there, my e-start doesn't work. What should I do?

I'm disgusted with this new generation. It's as if MTV and Moutain Dew have written their life's guidebook and have thrown in a healthy helping of Britney Spears' IQ to boot.

With that experience under my belt, I can tell you that the most important improvement that I've seen is with what's inside your helmet, and how willing you are to shut that hole under your nose and listen to what someone with experience has to say. If not, then your existence is simply a waste of my time and, unfortunately, your own as well.

Things seem to have deteriorated to name-calling and spoon-feeding, and it saddens me.

I am part of "your" generation and its funny how quickly we forget all of the useless wastoid people we grew up with along with New kids on the block, Poison, Debbie Gibson, Madonna, mullets, and all of that other embarrassing Britney/Mountain Dew comparable crap.

Matter of fact, you sound a lot like the old codgers that used to make fun of our lazy no-good brainless generation back when we were 20 something. It was rather satisfiying proving their own incompetence to them and eventually taking their jobs...but I digress.

For somebody who claims to be put off by the name calling, it doesn't seem like you are setting a halfway decent example to follow. Have you turned into your father?

I am part of "your" generation and its funny how quickly we forget all of the useless wastoid people we grew up with along with New kids on the block, Poison, Debbie Gibson, Madonna, mullets, and all of that other embarrassing Britney/Mountain Dew comparable crap.

Saw a T-shirt once that summed it all up:

"In order to become old and wise, you must first survive being young and stupid"

or something to that effect.

I agree with everything you said imdickie, except Clinton having sex. Every president sense George Washington have had sexual relations in the oval office. Its there executive privilege. :ride::ride:

[Momentary Thread Hijack]

Yea, I have to agree. Let me rephrase.

Clinton's sexual esapades had a huge impact on the moral position of the country. What should have been the normal hire a hooker and be descrete about it caused the leader of the free world to lie under oath and convince the impressionable that a blow job was not a sexual act. The end result was "Blow Job Parties" which is much like the "House Party" of my era but guys count the number of lipstick colors on thier johnson's at the end of the night. The one with the most colors wins.

As a kid I would say that is the coolest thing ever. As the father of a pre-teen girl I say "Hell No". So what it is a double standard. Life isn't fair. Get used to it.

:ride:

[\Momentary Thread Hijack]

We now return you to your regulary scheduled rant.

[Momentary Thread Hijack]

Yea, I have to agree. Let me rephrase.

Clinton's sexual esapades had a huge impact on the moral position of the country. What should have been the normal hire a hooker and be descrete about it caused the leader of the free world to lie under oath and convince the impressionable that a blow job was not a sexual act. The end result was "Blow Job Parties" which is much like the "House Party" of my era but guys count the number of lipstick colors on thier johnson's at the end of the night. The one with the most colors wins.

As a kid I would say that is the coolest thing ever. As the father of a pre-teen girl I say "Hell No". So what it is a double standard. Life isn't fair. Get used to it.

:ride:

[\Momentary Thread Hijack]

We now return you to your regulary scheduled rant.

I am confused as to what Descartes has to to do with this conversation?

Oh I missed the context, you must have meant, discrete.

And oh yeah, the 300 kicks the $hit out of a WR any day.

Hmmm...I guess you've never heard of a little race called the Baja 1000, or perhaps riders like Mouse McCoy, Johnny Campbell or Steve Hengeveld. How about Malcolm Smith? What's the common factor? Yep, the Honda XR650 and its predecessors. If ignorance is bliss like they say, then you must have perma-grin :ride:. But please continue, I enjoy seeing my point of view etched in stone...SC

The XR650R has had an aluminum frame since day one. Your point?

I'm old enough to remember when all motorcycles had steel swingarms. Then a few MX bikes had aluminum swingarms. Now steel swingarms are rare.

Really, it is a matter of the company figuring out how to get the right flex characteristics out of an aluminum frame. Yamaha has been racing aluminum frame in GP races for more years than I can remember. Honda screwed the pooch with their first few attempts with the CR250. The real question is did Yamaha make a frame with the right flex characteristics and won't crush like an empty Coors can if it hits a rock.

Kevin

P.S. Dwight Rudder didn't like aluminum frames. Not sure if he has changed his mind.

The XR650R has had an aluminum frame since day one. Your point?

Kevin his point was that the guy called them "Crap" not that is was aluminium framed.

This is just my opinion but before this post was created Clark and I PM'd back and forth about this forum.

Here is what I think he was trying to convey. It was not really a debate about the steel vs aluminium(even though the title suggests it.) It was the fact that all of the WR experts like Indy, Mountain and others seemed to have moved on and seldom post.

I check the forum once or twice a day and it seems that everytime a guy asks a question about the WR withen a few minutes there are 5 to 10 replys from guys that are throwing out their opinion. Even though it may be a question that I know the answer to I don't bother answering because so many opinions have been thrown out. Back 6 months ago when a question was asked people that had actually delt with the same problem would respond to the question and that was it, question answered.

I learned very fast when I showed my ugly face here that I needed to use the "SEARCH" option before every question. The way I learned was because people would tell me to "Do a Search" and I did. 9 times out of 10 I found my answer.

The forum has been over run with new guys who, like all of us, have strong opinions and also just want their questions answered.

I think it is great that this forum has grown so much the only problem is that if you don't know don't answer.

I did laugh my ass off when one guy said he hated the 07 WR because of the new tail light.

For all you folks that think that Clark is an Ass for his post think again. Ask him a question and he will give you the answer and hold your hand while you do the job.

So, now on the the important stuff, when are we going to have a Thumpertalk WR450 Moab Trip

Why does everyone prefer the aluminum frame crf's for racing over the XR's?

Maybe you guys can join the XR guys and reminisce?

Ah....XR650R's have aluminum frames too, and have won their fair share of off-road races. Unless of course, "racing" = MX only! :ride:

From what I can see so far I like the new WR. More often then not...if it LOOKS good, it IS good...which is promising in this case. Added to the new chasis and styling...the wave rotors, fat bars, wide pegs, etc are a nice touch. As for whether it's three pounds lighter or not...more important will be how much lighter it feels. If the YZ's recent transformation is any indication...it should!

I find what's happening here similar to whats happening to me in my job. I,ve had 3 'offsiders' allocated to me over the past three months ( I install pool fences).

You get the ones that don't want to be told anything because they know it all.

You get the ones who just want to chat while you do all the work.

you get the argumentative ones and so on.

The one I like best is the young lad who thinks for himself, is eager to learn,puts in the hard yards, is always courteous and likes a joke. I'd rather work with him anyday over the other two who are 44 and 50.

The point is if they're are willing to learn and listen, then you don't mind going out of your way to help them. But if they're not, it really gives u the shites.

My simplistic .02c :ride:

Wayne

Wow, lots of opinions and interest on the new iron. I'd bet the farm that the new bikes are a little better than last years bike and the 08's will be a little better than the 07's. I'm certainly not losing any sleep over it though. My 05 is awesome for this 51 year old and one thing is for sure my next one will be an aluminum frame WR,,,ha ha. Maybe an 08 or 09. Like others have said it's all rider anyway. My brother won't give up his 01 426 because he kills everyone we ride with....he thinks it's his bike.....he could ride a Honda 90 and beat most people.

From what I can see so far I like the new WR. More often then not...if it LOOKS good, it IS good...which is promising in this case. Added to the new chasis and styling...the wave rotors, fat bars, wide pegs, etc are a nice touch. As for whether it's three pounds lighter or not...more important will be how much lighter it feels. If the YZ's recent transformation is any indication...it should!

So true. Bikes change from year to year, some get better some don't.

Allot was learned from the first Aluminum framed CR's. Yes the steel frame works,yes some like the feel but if bikes didn't change we would still be riding XR's. Anything to make a big thumper feel lighter is a big step forward.

We all don't ride in a treeless desert.

Manufactures have to change their bikes eventually or be outsold by the competition.

One final word before I sign off and let you call me names and provide unsubstantiated credentials to compare to my own...this board used to have a crop of regular members who had an encyclopedic knowledge of the WR, but they have gone missing. "Why", you ask. Well, I believe that they've gotten a bad taste in their mouths from all the posing, posturing and lack of self-reliance that used to be present on this board. When I first joined, I was amazed at how eager to help everyone was when I had questions as a newbie. Mind you, I "lurked" for quite some time and learned as much as I could from my own efforts before I piped up, but that is no longer the case with the average newbie. Things seem to have deteriorated to name-calling and spoon-feeding, and it saddens me. Indy, NC, et. al, you are missed. Clark out...SC

This place was great site back when there were less pimple faced pukes that seem to fill the forums now.

This place was great site back when there were less pimple faced pukes that seem to fill the forums now.

Hey! MXJunkys acne is well in control.

HEhehehe! That guys name is Waynus!