Why no EFI for dirtbikes

Also, do not forget that BMW has made the rokon 650 fuel injected on the GS & Dakar model dual sports. It's had problems, but they seem to be getting them worked out.

Optimum Power Technology makes a unit, if FI were the thing I would think everyone would follow the craze, as peolpe always do. FI is great for all around drive ability, but nascar, top fuel, and most other series horse power types of apps still run carbs, or a very simple type of mechinical fuel injection, like a Kinsler unit we stock and sell so of the units, but not as manys as carbs....

Originally posted by Rapture:

FI is great for all around drive ability, but nascar, top fuel, and most other serious horse power types of apps still run carbs, or a very simple type of mechinical fuel injection...

That is true. Those codes of motor racing do indeed use those systems, but i think it is because rules prohibit the use of electronic fuel injection.

Over here in Australia, we have V8 touring car racing. The engines are naturally aspirated, 5 litre, 16 valve, pushrod V8s. Rules have set a maximum CR so 98 octane (pump gas) fuel is used. Doesn't sound too impressive, but these engines make in excess of 600HP, with the assistance of advanced fuel injection (Motec management in most cases).

Fourmula 1 also uses incredibly advanced fuel injection in their motors, and their 3 litre V8 engines make around 800HP. Naturally aspirated again. One big advantage of EFI on these motors, is the tuning capability. Tuners would set hundreds of fuel and ignition imputs on dynos that would achive the maximum possible power at all engine load/speeds. The system is so advanced, tuners can isolate each cylinder and 'fine tune' that cylinder alone. Mind blowing stuff, especially when you condsider the thousands of calculations the CPU makes each second. Thats right, thousands of calculations per second! This is the only way to tune a engine with 8 cylinders and a redline of 18,000RPM!

I can't wait to see the end of carburettors. They should have died on dirtbikes a long time ago.

I'm surprised Taffy hasn't knocked one up in his tea break :D:)

Rapture

I believe the reason they run mechanical injection set ups is due to the fact that te RPM are kept so consistent. If they had to fluctuate as much as an mx bike they would be EFI! Cost is the reason so far. The game is about profit. Cya :)

The new 2006 Yamaha Raptor 700r ATV is the first "sport model" off-road machine to come with EFI (apart from the Cannondales). You guys should check it out. I believe the EFI and the 4-valve engine comes from the european Yamaha XT660.

There have also been snowmobiles that use EFI, but I know even less about them.

I'm sure the EFI utility ATVs only have EFI for ease of starting and maybe for altitude compensation, but I'm sure ute ATV owners are far less critical over engine performance. It should be interesting to see what happens at the open-class ATV races next season.

The new 2006 Yamaha Raptor 700R ATV is the first "sport model" off-road machine to come with EFI (apart from the Cannondales). You guys should check it out on the Yamaha web site. I believe the EFI and the 4-valve engine comes from the european Yamaha XT660.

There have also been snowmobiles that use EFI, but I know even less about them.

I'm sure the EFI utility ATVs only have EFI for ease of starting and maybe for altitude compensation, but I'm sure ute ATV owners are far less critical over engine performance. It should be interesting to see what happens at the open-class ATV races next season.