05 vs 06 YZ450

I aksed a question of all the WR riders about which would be best for a mix of woods and desert, a WR or a YZ (both would need some mods and armor obviously). Seeing as I really don't care about the e-starter (in fact I would prefer not to have the extra weight) they mostly all pointed me to the YZ.

So, now my question of all the YZ riders. My local dealer has a new 05 YZ450 on his floor. I know that the aluminum frame came in the 06 models, but what other, if any, differences were there between the two model years? Is it worth the extra $$ to go with an 06 or even an 07 model?

Also, did the 05 have a 5 speed tranny or a 4? And any of you who have ridden the WR and the YZ, how limiting is the close ratio tranny compared to the wide ratio? I used to have a YZ 426 and it worked well everywhere, but not sure about the new 450's

Any advice would be appreciated!

There is no comparison between the two bikes. The difference is beyond night and day, it's like 10 years of motorcycle evolution went overnight. I say that as the owner of both an '03 and an '06. Even with the notorious hit the '03 has, they aren't close. The '05 has better suspension than the '03, but still not on a par with the new bike, and the engine is way too soft.

Even with the triple clamps (which are not being given away last time i looked, and are frankly rather hard to find), the '05 won't come close to the handling of the new one. The suspension on the stock '06 is already far better than any of the best Enzo jobs I've ridden on earlier models as it is. And there's nothing you or anyone will ever be able to do to make the bike have that light feel the '06 has...nothing.

As far as power, the simple fact is that a good '03 with a pipe will squeeze out 48-49 hp, while a stone stock '06 with jetting will produce 50 at 5000'. I don't know who started the whole horsepower thing, but it's BS. The idea that the '06 is soft is a total illusion.

Had an 05 and now an 06. Tranny on the 05 was 4 speed, 06 is 5 speed. Engine was soft on top on the 05, but was cured by adding a White Bros Aluminum Pro. Stock jetting was good. Engine on 06 is good with stock pipe, but needed rejetting. Got better with addition of White Bros. Aluminum Pro pipe. Rocketship with different piston and mild head porting.

As far as the rest of the bike, there is no comparison. The 06 is light years ahead of any previous model year. The 06 chassis and suspension will take you to a new level. It is that good.

There is no comparison between the two bikes. The difference is beyond night and day, it's like 10 years of motorcycle evolution went overnight. I say that as the owner of both an '03 and an '06. Even with the notorious hit the '03 has, they aren't close. The '05 has better suspension than the '03, but still not on a par with the new bike, and the engine is way too soft.

Even with the triple clamps (which are not being given away last time i looked, and are frankly rather hard to find), the '05 won't come close to the handling of the new one. The suspension on the stock '06 is already far better than any of the best Enzo jobs I've ridden on earlier models as it is. And there's nothing you or anyone will ever be able to do to make the bike have that light feel the '06 has...nothing.

As far as power, the simple fact is that a good '03 with a pipe will squeeze out 48-49 hp, while a stone stock '06 with jetting will produce 50 at 5000'. I don't know who started the whole horsepower thing, but it's BS. The idea that the '06 is soft is a total illusion.

Grayracer hit it on the head.

Doug

If your main consideration is performance than greyracer and co are spot on, 06 definately. Its just a timing issue if you want to buy a bike that is about to be superceded by the 07 model. If its more of a money issue then just be aware that in 12months time the 06 models might be available second hand for up to half of what they are being sold for now, and just maybe an 05 model that can be picked up for $5500AUD(price derived from etrade search) compared to RRP$10800AUD for the 06 is a bargain. I guess it just comes down to what is more important for you and the type of riding you intend to do.

I love my 05 and didn't realise the 06 was that much better. Guess I better start saving, maybe for an 08..

The '05 is a great bike, I had one! Just don't ride an '06 until you are ready to drop some $$$$...

:ride:

You will be happy with either one. The 05 with offset clamps, shortened stock muffler, power now and a screenless filter system will do everything you want it to do. If you want the latest thing wait for the 07, they are just around the corner! Just remember it's 70% rider and 30% machine. If you can ride any of them to there max. then you should be looking for sponsors.

You can buy an 05, put a pipe on it, get the suspension reworked, buy low boy radiators, wetsump the motor and it will be "almost" on par with a stock 2006.....except you just spent the money you saved and then some!

In otherwords....if you are going to take the plunge, do it right or you will always feel the "I wish I would have".......

You can buy an 05, put a pipe on it, get the suspension reworked, buy low boy radiators, wetsump the motor and it will be "almost" on par with a stock 2006.....except you just spent the money you saved and then some!

In otherwords....if you are going to take the plunge, do it right or you will always feel the "I wish I would have".......

Where do you find low boy radiators at for an '05?

From the August 2005 MXA

"PWR Yamaha YZ450F"

""By reconfiguring the mounts, redistributing the core mass and working around the YZ-F plumbing, PWR moved a significant amount of water and radiator weight down 2-1/2 inches. This is even farther down than on Heath Voss's National bike. Best of all, the PWR radiator kit will be made available for any YZ450F owner who wants to avail himself of this works trick. PWR-lowered YZ-F radiators cost $449."

here is the website http://www.pwr-performance.com/motox.htm and it shows the YZ450 "low boys" at $398.