Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
25year2stroker

Valve adjust,what's been your expereince?

6 posts in this topic

I've checked the valves on my 05 wr450,440mi both ex valves check .15mm no problem I have the shims to bring back to spec.All 3 in valves check a slightly loose .10mil(min tol) has anyone shimmed even though they are within spec(albiet on the tight end) I was thinking get the ex valves back in spec,reassemble and run it a few more hundred then recheck? Anybody been in the same boat?

Thank's for any help.

I was thinking get the ex valves back in spec,reassemble and run it a few more hundred then recheck?

That's what I would do. Have they moved or is this the first time you checked them?

The reason I ask is because Yamaha valves notorious for not moving at all! :excuseme:

Mine haven't moved one little bit on both my bikes, and that is after about 3,000 miles on both.

That's what I would do. Have they moved or is this the first time you checked them?

The reason I ask is because Yamaha valves notorious for not moving at all! :bonk:

Mine haven't moved one little bit on both my bikes, and that is after about 3,000 miles on both.

First check,bike ran great started fine just wanted to check it out while I have time.With any luck I'll be riding the $hit out of it the next 3 week's or so. Thank's for the reply :excuseme:

This is my first thumper in many years of bikes and I'm watching the valve issue closely.

Yamaha have a great reliable valve system that rarely gives problems.

The valves will impact down during breakin and early miles but as Matty says, you might find they stay put.

I checked mine when I got it from the dealer - the exhaust clearances were in spec but on the tight side - intakes no problem. I was amazed that they come out of the factory like that. But it is an assembly line....

In your case I would just adjusts those that need it as you allude to.

:excuseme:

Remember, in spec is in spec. That's why they have a high and low limit.

No need to worry if on the tight side, unless they have been moving.

I checked my '06 at 15 hours and all 5 were just barely tighter than the tight tolerance. I probably could have run them a while longer as is, but decided to reshim for peace of mind.

My dealer swaps shims for free and has a good assortment, so I was able to bump them all by exactly 5 increments and now are just barely tight of the loose tolerance. Hopefully they will now stay in tolerance for a long time.

Do you have dealer that swaps shims and has lots of sizes? You could bump your intakes by 3 (or whatever) and get all your valve sto the same point in the tolerance range and possibly not have to repeat the reshimming process for a while.