Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
razmy72

The difference between 03,04,05,06 forks?

18 posts in this topic

The difference between 03,04,05,06 forks? Can someone pls enlighten me on the differences? The size, clamps, fork guards? Coz I'm setting up my front end again and would like to know which can be fix with which..

Thanks! :excuseme:

03 - 46MM brake routing wraps under and up to caliper.

04 - 48MM same same routing and gaurds as 03.

05 - 48MM twin chamber type Honda style brake routing guards different than earlier models.

06 - Same as the 05 I believe.

They are all pretty much interchangeable if you swap triples and guards.

03 - 46MM brake routing wraps under and up to caliper.

04 - 48MM same same routing and gaurds as 03.

05 - 48MM twin chamber type Honda style brake routing guards different than earlier models.

06 - Same as the 05 I believe.

They are all pretty much interchangeable if you swap triples and guards.

03- 46mm single camber fork

04 - 48mm single chamber fork

05 - 48mm TC fork, position sensitive valving

06 - 48mm TC fork, Speed sensitive valving. also the clamps are 2mm wider than 06 for more stability. thus spacers and axles correspond for that

the 05 and 06 forks are totally different internally. The SSS fork on the 06 absorbs the little stuff way better than the 05.

03- 46mm single camber fork

04 - 48mm single chamber fork

05 - 48mm TC fork, position sensitive valving

06 - 48mm TC fork, Speed sensitive valving. also the clamps are 2mm wider than 06 for more stability. thus spacers and axles correspond for that

the 05 and 06 forks are totally different internally. The SSS fork on the 06 absorbs the little stuff way better than the 05.

That's right. They're 4 different forks, each a significant improvement over the previous version. The '06 is unbelievably good.

The '04/'05 can be used in the same triple clamps, and either can be installed on an '03 by swapping a clamp set from an '04/'05. But although the '06 sets 2mm wider, it nevertheless uses the same wheel , axle and spacers by moving the axle lugs inboard 1mm on each side. They're not interchangeable without their triple clamps. I'm also not sure as to the stem dimensions on the '06.

You can use 04-05 forks on 06 clamps with no modifications. Only the left (brake side) fork aligns the front wheel , and having the wheel offset only 1 mm causes no problems with the front brake. If you don't feel comfortable with this, you could install a 1mm thick washer between the fork and spacer on the brake side.

What kind of triple clamps would you buy for a 06 then, if you bought aftermarket? Would any work?

What kind of triple clamps would you buy for a 06 then, if you bought aftermarket? Would any work?

applied makes special clamps with a bit different rake and 27mm offset to help turning

You can use 04-05 forks on 06 clamps with no modifications. Only the left (brake side) fork aligns the front wheel , and having the wheel offset only 1 mm causes no problems with the front brake. If you don't feel comfortable with this, you could install a 1mm thick washer between the fork and spacer on the brake side.
True enough, but you'd be better off re-centering the wheel with the spokes. And I have to ask, why on Earth would you want to take such a giant step backwards? If you feel that the earlier fork is better, can I have your '06's?
applied makes special clamps with a bit different rake and 27mm offset to help turning
They do, but they don't change the rake, only the trail (by adding offset), and while these appear to work well with the '06 YZ250F, opinions of them are not as universally positive when installed on an '06 YZ450. Some like the stock offset better. Personally, as good as the bike works already, you'd have to pay me to try them.

Would it be possible to put 450 forks on my bike with using the same year triple clamps as the forks?

The '03 fork will go right in your clamps, but they aren't much different than yours. If a set of later clamps can be used on your frame (perhaps by swapping the steering stem) later forks would be more worthwhile.

We ran 05 suspension on an 06 450F for the later rounds of the AMA Toyota Arenacross series. In our case, we already had the older suspension setup for this purpose, so we just swapped and ran it. In my opinion, there is no disadvantage to the older suspension for this purpose, and in fact, the champion of the series, Chad Johnson, was running 05 suspension on his YZ250. His mechanic, Junior Jackson, felt the 05 suspension was better suited for this specialized purpose. Personally, I believe the main reason was that the new bikes were not released in time to setup and test the new suspension.

No, you cannot have the 06 suspension. It is back on the bike. :excuseme:

We ran 05 suspension on an 06 450F for the later rounds of the AMA Toyota Arenacross series. In our case, we already had the older suspension setup for this purpose, so we just swapped and ran it. In my opinion, there is no disadvantage to the older suspension for this purpose, and in fact, the champion of the series, Chad Johnson, was running 05 suspension on his YZ250. His mechanic, Junior Jackson, felt the 05 suspension was better suited for this specialized purpose. Personally, I believe the main reason was that the new bikes were not released in time to setup and test the new suspension.

No, you cannot have the 06 suspension. It is back on the bike. :excuseme:

Okay, there is one difference in the 05 bikes. only the YZ250 got a bit different forks than the 125 and the 250F 450F. DO a search for it. It is a passive bleed system in the fork.

Now just hitting large jumps, just about anything valved for it will work. But like outdoors where you get braking bumps, acceleration bumps and constant track changes all day long, the 06 stuff is way superior. Indoors on groomed stuff, yeah the 05 is great.

The '03 fork will go right in your clamps, but they aren't much different than yours. If a set of later clamps can be used on your frame (perhaps by swapping the steering stem) later forks would be more worthwhile

Does anyone know for sure if the '04-'05 clamps and stem will bolt up to the 426? How about shocks? Any big changes since 2001? Anyone know if they are interchangeable?

No, you cannot have the 06 suspension. It is back on the bike. :ride:

I thought the 06 had special triple clamps that only the 06 forks would fit in...if so, how did the 05 ones fit?

The '06 clamps are 2mm wider center to center. This is made up for by moving the axle lug on each fork leg inboard 1mm, and the '06 then uses the same wheel /axle/spacing as the earlier years.

Using '04 or '05 forks in '06 clamps results in the wheel being 1mm off center to the left. This can be made up for either by using a 1mm (.040") washer between the left fork lug and the wheel, or by re-centering the rim with the spokes.

The '06 clamps are 2mm wider center to center. This is made up for by moving the axle lug on each fork leg inboard 1mm, and the '06 then uses the same wheel /axle/spacing as the earlier years.

Using '04 or '05 forks in '06 clamps results in the wheel being 1mm off center to the left. This can be made up for either by using a 1mm (.040") washer between the left fork lug and the wheel, or by re-centering the rim with the spokes.

Thanks for clearing that up for me! :ride: What if I had to replace the stock triple clamps, or wanted aftermarket one's, just going out on a limb here, I don't need to, nor do I want to...but IF I wanted or needed to, what would I do, do companies sell them special for the 06 YZF?

Does anyone know for sure if the '04-'05 clamps and stem will bolt up to the 426?

Worked like a charm, everything bolted up real nice, and I was able to re-use the 426 front brake setup, axle, and brake line guard. :thumbsup:

Now I am just waiting on graphics and then I will post pics of my "poor man's" 450.