HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
150 Fuelie

What air filter you guys running?

23 posts in this topic

I just picked up an 04 WR450 and see it has a foam airfilter. I assume it's stock. Should I leave it or do you all recommend something else? I see Fast3 Air Filters pretty cheap on ebay; any good?

Thanks.

The stock on the 06 is green/yellow and filters/breathes well, probably will fall apart after a while I suspect.

I personally have kept it and swap it out with a TWIN AIR with dust cover.

Use a good quality oil that tacks up lightly - catches the dust/ grit.

Make sure the filter seals against the back plate, grease the filter back where it contacts the housing to make sure.

In dusty conditions, inspect the carb intake to make sure no crud is getting through, wipe the inside with white oiled /damp cloth or tissue to check.

Filter choice is personal preference really but suggest you avoid the paper type filters unless you ride street with no dust.

Twin air airfilters and filter skins.

Twin air filters are great, they last a very long time and won't fall apart if you wash your filters in gasoline.

I use a spray on oil in the wet season, as it isn't dusty at all, then now in the dry, I use motul air filter oil. The spray on stuff is so much easier to use, but not as effective in trapping dust.

I converted my Airfilter assembly to YZF and run a YZF twinair powerflow kit

What did you need to do that? I would have thought the battery was in the way....

Have you guys with the No toil checked to see if any dust gets by with the white cloth test? I used the stuff, got dust, twice, (fool me twice, shame on me) and threw the stuff in the garbage. I recommend that you look into it. Maybe I was doing something wrong but will never try it again.

I use a UNI with Maxima FFT oil. UNI filters are 2 separate pieces, which makes cleaning them a heck of alot easier than a Twin Air. :excuseme:

:bonk: How cleaning 2 is easier than 1 is beyond me...

:excuseme: How cleaning 2 is easier than 1 is beyond me...

How can you not understand? The outer layer traps the bigger particles and when you seperate the filter, the inner layer has fine dirt and dust stuck to it. You clean both filters and put them back together and reoil.

Twin airs are multilayer foam too, but you can't seperate them. So how do you know you have it clean where the 2 layers meet?.... you can't because its glued together. :bonk:

I am running a white bros power filter that is in a used bike i just purchased. Can someone tell me if i am supposed to oil this filter? thanks

How can you not understand? The outer layer traps the bigger particles and when you seperate the filter, the inner layer has fine dirt and dust stuck to it. You clean both filters and put them back together and reoil.

Twin airs are multilayer foam too, but you can't seperate them. So how do you know you have it clean where the 2 layers meet?.... you can't because its glued together. :bonk:

Dirt sticks to the oil. Oil sticks to the filter. Use solvent to unstick oil from filter. No more dirt in filter. Simple. :excuseme:

I am running a white bros power filter that is in a used bike i just purchased. Can someone tell me if i am supposed to oil this filter? thanks

Yes, that's a foam filter. You need to clean it and oil it with Filter oil. Not motor oil.

Currently I use a Uni Filter, but soon I think I'm going to try out the new K&N woven air filter. It flows better than anything else and very rarely needs to be cleaned. The only setbacks with it though are its price ($80) and weight (2 pounds).

Doug