Frustrated!!!

Tuesday evening I bought my 2006 WR450 and also picked up the AIS removal kit from the dealer. I finished all of the "free mods" last night which included: Drilled out exhaust baffle to run even though PMB inserty has been ordered), AIS removal kit installed including supplied needle and jet, holes cut in airbox and airbox silencer removed, gray wire.

Now I am VERY familiar with XR650R carbs and Edelbrock carbs but the FCR is new to me. My 450 didn't want to start unless I had the choke on, even when warm. The header also turned blue right away and was obviously running lean. I went ahead and ordered a JD jetting kit minutes ago but is there a particular jet I should replace in the carb so I can at least ride today? If I don't ride today I'll have to wait a few weeks. BTW, it would start right away with the choke on and using the hot start.

Should I lower the clip on the needle supplied in the AIS kit?

Richen the mixture screw?(currently at 2 turns out)

Any help is appreciated!

Dear Frustrated,

MY 06 450 was completely stock during break in -the pipe turned blue - so did a buddy's 450 that was broke in the same way. I did my mods after break in. No real reason other than wanting to see the result of each mod individually.

I think the blue colour is a result of the pipe reaching operating temp for the first time -regardless of mods or not. It will soon fade to a typical exhaust pipe colour.

WR Bob

Its all in your jetting, I don't know what your elevation is.....but like you said..its a lean machine= hot, hot, hot....

Look at the jetting chart (sticky) and put those jets in (leak is important!)

In the meantime, just jet it richer on your pilot, clip on needle (down), and turn your fuel screw (out). Should get you through until you get the JD kit.

You may even plug up the holes in the airbox to get it richer, or get some dust in your filter :excuseme:

We have all been through this when you first get these bikes, alot of time getting the jetting dialed in, but once there you will be happy. :bonk:

Good Luck!

Ride It! you do not have a baseline from which to start you jetting. Too Much reading and not enough riding is the only problem you have now. It will start easier after break in ride and you will be getting more familiar with the bike. Have fun!

Ride It! you do not have a baseline from which to start you jetting. Too Much reading and not enough riding is the only problem you have now. It will start easier after break in ride and you will be getting more familiar with the bike. Have fun!

This may not be wise if the bike is too lean!

Try taping over the airbox side holes, and even part of the top opening if necessary, to richen it up until you get the jetting fixed.

Then go ride :excuseme:

I've done about 4-ais kits for my buddies. in every case the pipe will turn glowing red until the titanium gets to operating temp. I've also made a mistake in installing the metal plate on the slide after installing the new needle upside down. makes it run like poo poo. wont start only w/ choke or hot start. take a look at the plate one side is kinda pointed if I remember right the pointed side pointed up to the top of the carb. good luck.

go big blue....

Your bike needs to break in first before you can get a complete read on the jets. everything is tight on the engine and it is not going to turn over very fast with the e start until everything breaks in. go back to the #45PJ and 1 turn out on the FS and see how it starts after running it for about 15 min. I ran the #48 for a while and went back to the #45 and a turn more out on the FS and found it started easier and ran crisper on the low end. The needle you were supplied with in the AIS kit should be fine to run, even though in my opinion the JD needles are better. Remember on the needle LOWERING= LEAN and RAISING= RICHEN. This is for the needle not the clip. Be patient, read the jetting sticky and good luck. :excuseme:

i'm not sure i agree with going back to the 45pj but never say never. be careful with the pilot fuel screw. if you back it out more than three turns, or so, it may vibrate out. sometimes hard to start is relative to learning how to start it. you will learn its quirks.

sometimes hard to start is relative to learning how to start it. you will learn its quirks.
Nah mate, hard to start = bad jetting.

I can walk up to my bike, pull choke, touch the button, the engine will turn over 2 - 3 times and fire. How quirky is that? :excuseme::bonk: