02 WR426 Kick Starter jams up occasionally

Hello Oh Great WR GURU's!!! I have had some trouble a couple of times with my kick starter. It will get very hard to kick through. It will go, but you have to stand on the lever and bounce slightly and it will eventually let go and you will get a slow kick out of it. Once you get it started it seems to free itself up and work fine for quite some time. I would like to figure out what is happening here though and get it fixed. Any suggestions or ideas? I have noticed that when this happens I can put the bike in 5th gear and roll the engine over without excessive force, but the kicker is still very stiff. I plan to open up that side when I get a chance, but would like to have an idea what I am looking for. Wondering if there is a chance that I have some small clutch pieces in there or something? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Josh

Are you familiar with correct starting procedure? (it should get hard to kick when piston at TDC)

maybe some starting mechanism teeth or bearings are to check, its hard to tell.

maybe bearing problem.

someone posted here not long ago similar problem (as far as i can remember), and when he opened it, it was the crank bearings.

Open it up and have a look. I have not experienced this but would like to hear and see about it.

Are you familiar with correct starting procedure? (it should get hard to kick when piston at TDC)

maybe some starting mechanism teeth or bearings are to check, its hard to tell.

I forgot to mention that I have a Hotcams auto decomp cam installed. Sorry,

As for the other replies, you guys just want to make a guys heart sink don't you!! I will open it up when I get the time and let you all know what I find. thanks.

Josh

if i were you i would find out what is jamming now, i had pretty similar symptoms, turned out the big end bearing in the crank failed, wasnt my favourite memory produced from my wr to date, good luck :excuseme:

Does this happen predominantly when the engine was stalled?

When the engine is running, the decompression pin is retracted by the flyweight on the cam sprocket. One of the engine's favorite places to stall if lugged down too far is just at the beginning of the compression stroke. When that happens, the engine stops too suddenly for the decomp pin to extend, and the retracted decomp pin is held captive by the exhaust valve lifter. While the decompression mechanism ordinarily opens the valve with ease once extended, the return spring on the flyweight is nowhere near strong enough to extend the pin with the closed valve in the way.

So it isn't uncommon for a stalled engine to be extremely difficult to kick through the first next stroke, as it's a full and unrelieved compression stroke in such a case. The trick is to put the bike in gear and roll it back away from compression, which will allow the decomp pin to extend, and the engine act normally.

Does this happen predominantly when the engine was stalled?

When the engine is running, the decompression pin is retracted by the flyweight on the cam sprocket. One of the engine's favorite places to stall if lugged down too far is just at the beginning of the compression stroke. When that happens, the engine stops too suddenly for the decomp pin to extend, and the retracted decomp pin is held captive by the exhaust valve lifter. While the decompression mechanism ordinarily opens the valve with ease once extended, the return spring on the flyweight is nowhere near strong enough to extend the pin with the closed valve in the way.

So it isn't uncommon for a stalled engine to be extremely difficult to kick through the first next stroke, as it's a full and unrelieved compression stroke in such a case. The trick is to put the bike in gear and roll it back away from compression, which will allow the decomp pin to extend, and the engine act normally.

OK guys, I finally got a chance to pull the side cover this morning and all of the gears look good. I don't find any metal part what so ever floating around in the oil or in the bottom of the engine cover.

Gray, assuming that the decomp pin had been stuck. Is it possible for it to remain stuck for several kicks if I don't have enough lead in my rear to kick it through with any force? Once the engine fired up, I did not have any trouble kicking it through either of the two times this has happened to me in the past year. Is there anything else I should check before I chalk it up to fluke and go on my merry way? Thanks again, sorry it took me so long to get back on this, I have been very busy lately.

Josh

It should only be for the next revolution. This happens to me frequently when it stalls. If it's not, then there may be another problem.

Grayracer:

This happens to me from time to time. The motor stops and sometimes the kickstarter is ver hard to depress...kinda like there was no auto-d at all. Once I force it past it kicks like normal. I though it was like the auto-d hanging up as you describe.