HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crazycanuck

Fileings in oil

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I bought a 2000 yz426 a couple months ago and have only riden it 3 or 4 times, all short trips say 15 to 20 kilometers each. I decided it was time to change the oil. I pulled the oil filter and noticed small filings in the fins. I washed the filter in clean gas and saw that there was quite a bit of material, i dont have a magnet so i dont know if its steel, and i didnt see any brass. Is it normal to have some filings between oil changes, i know when braking in a new engine you will get some material on the first oil change. This is my first 4 stroke so any info would be appreciated. :excuseme:

Some crud in the filter isn't uncommon, most of it is likely from the clutch. Do yourself a favor and get a magnetic drain plug, it will catch a majority of the stuff before it reaches your filter.

I always have a little bit of metal on the filter. Like cowboy says I think it is normal.

Do like cowboy said, get a magnetic plug because it really helps to get the larger chunks. And just change your oil every couple ride to keep everything flushed real good.

A small amount isn't that bad... But if you have alot, there could be other issues... I was finding my screen covered with every oil change... I found the problem eventually when my cam chain wore a hole thru my cylinder and wall leaking oil from the chain being worn out...... Just watch the amount.

Curt