Reserve at 72 easy street miles?

Saw this one and wanted to bring it up again because I am having problems with mine. Needless to say, you guys have me in awe, I am riding a bone stock 2006 650L with 1800 miles and I can't seem to get more than 75 miles before I'm pumping 2.5 gallons into my tank! I've been hitting reserve at ~60miles! I really don't think I'm riding it hard, so don't ask.

I bought the bike used and the previous owner told me he did nothing more than change the oil. I am going to check the valves this weekend, but don't think it'll make much difference. The air filter is clean and oddly I pulled the plug a few weeks ago and it was as black as night. A local shop said the carb could be gunked up with stagnant fuel deposits, but wanted $150 to check my valves first. Then they'd look into the other problems. It's still got a few months under warranty.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

TIA

I bought the bike used and the previous owner told me he did nothing more than change the oil. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

TIA

is the bike "uncorcked?" - it'll run much better after those changes.

I just got back from a 600 miles trip, 200 on gravel, rest country highways. Average was 51mpg and I wasn't trying to save gas, just normal riding with the occasional rip to remind myself what kind of bike I was on. The tires are 30% down after just this weekend.

Peter

How far over do you have to lay it?

I think you want to lay it over on to the left side where your petcock is located to get all the fuel from the right side of the tank.

I think you want to lay it over on to the left side where your petcock is located to get all the fuel from the right side of the tank.

Except the petcock is on the right side.

Except the petcock is on the right side.

Oh hayzeus... this thread is funny. Got L guys, R guys, RC 51 guys, in here.

Hey, where are the DRZ guys?

You must have the Australian model.

All I would say to your Honda Mechanic at the dealership is oh Pashaw!

surely the carb is not gunked up as the bike is simply too new, newer fuels dont' varnish up as quickly as they used to.

Valves ? oh BS! I have 1800 on mine (2005 XR650L) and have not touched em.

My plug read white (stock) and now a nice tan (uncorked) 165 (DJ) main and 55 (Kehien) pilot - with a white Brothers E2 pipe. Uni filter, snorkel removed. Smog gone.

Sooooooooooo... I am a thinkin you have a partially modified bike by previous owner. Check the jets in the carb to see what size they are, also check the float level - but I have no idea why someone would fool with it so new, unless they thought that would richen it up and thus improve performance - when in effect it would only cause piss poor mileage and no added perforrmance improvemnt and resulting in your black plug. Only other cause would be weak or poor ignition - and then you would have other symptoms - missing etc...

Something is amiss here for such a new bike. I think someone got to shaking a screwdriver at it and screwed things up like float level and or carb adjustment.

Uncork it, install the recommended jets (get a dynojet kit simplist way to do it - but still needs a bigger pilot jet) grind off the tab on the carb airscrew and adjust it 2 1/4 tunrs out from lightly bottomed. Then install an aftermarket pipe and air filter and remove the smog and open up the airbox.

Now push that e-button suit up and hang on. It won't be like it gained 250cc but it will be smoother - pull harder and start easier and idle better. It will run great! do effortless lofts of the front end at will and get about 50 MPG.

Saw this one and wanted to bring it up again because I am having problems with mine. Needless to say, you guys have me in awe, I am riding a bone stock 2006 650L with 1800 miles and I can't seem to get more than 75 miles before I'm pumping 2.5 gallons into my tank! I've been hitting reserve at ~60miles! I really don't think I'm riding it hard, so don't ask.

I bought the bike used and the previous owner told me he did nothing more than change the oil. I am going to check the valves this weekend, but don't think it'll make much difference. The air filter is clean and oddly I pulled the plug a few weeks ago and it was as black as night. A local shop said the carb could be gunked up with stagnant fuel deposits, but wanted $150 to check my valves first. Then they'd look into the other problems. It's still got a few months under warranty.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

TIA

All I would say to your Honda Mechanic at the dealership is oh Pashaw!

surely the carb is not gunked up as the bike is simply too new, newer fuels dont' varnish up as quickly as they used to.

Valves ? oh BS! I have 1800 on mine (2005 XR650L) and have not touched em.

My plug read white (stock) and now a nice tan (uncorked) 165 (DJ) main and 55 (Kehien) pilot - with a white Brothers E2 pipe. Uni filter, snorkel removed. Smog gone.

Sooooooooooo... I am a thinkin you have a partially modified bike by previous owner. Check the jets in the carb to see what size they are, also check the float level - but I have no idea why someone would fool with it so new, unless they thought that would richen it up and thus improve performance - when in effect it would only cause piss poor mileage and no added perforrmance improvemnt and resulting in your black plug. Only other cause would be weak or poor ignition - and then you would have other symptoms - missing etc...

Something is amiss here for such a new bike. I think someone got to shaking a screwdriver at it and screwed things up like float level and or carb adjustment.

Uncork it, install the recommended jets (get a dynojet kit simplist way to do it - but still needs a bigger pilot jet) grind off the tab on the carb airscrew and adjust it 2 1/4 tunrs out from lightly bottomed. Then install an aftermarket pipe and air filter and remove the smog and open up the airbox.

Now push that e-button suit up and hang on. It won't be like it gained 250cc but it will be smoother - pull harder and start easier and idle better. It will run great! do effortless lofts of the front end at will and get about 50 MPG.

Now I feel bad. I thought this was an R thread. My bad. I keep getting sucked into these L threads. I get confused easy.

It IS an R thread. At least that's what I started it about!!!

Just this kind of stuff that DEMANDS separate forums.

Why is this so difficult????????????????????????

Yeah, but you didn't put "R" in the thread title or in your post, except for the sig.

Not everyone looks at the sig.

That was yer bad, mate.

D

Yeah, but you didn't put "R" in the thread title or in your post, except for the sig.

Not everyone looks at the sig.

That was yer bad, mate.

D

It's in my sig, which is directly below my 2 line post.

\

Not TOO hard to see.

So I guess it's your bad, mate. :thumbsup:

yeah, petcock is on the left side of any L....not sure bout them fancey R's

Thanks Maxpower, I've got pipes and filter on order, getting to the smog delete soon. The jets from another dealer. I'll crack it all open when all the parts arrive.

L or R lets ride.