how to tell if rear shock is blown

hey guys I was riding my bike and just noticed that the rear end was real stiff. then i washed the bike and cleaned around the rear linkage and all of the sudden the thing is real boucy like a pogo stick. also the rebound adjustment seems to have no effect on the rate. so is it blown or not, can i rebuild it cheap or is it a costly repair. thanks for the help.

To me a shock is "blown" when you have oil running down the shaft.

Yes you can rebuild the shock yourself, it's pretty easy but I'm not sure on the cost $50 maybe. While you got it tore down you should replace the teflon band and o-ring that goes around the piston.

What bike is this off of?

its a 05 yz450, there is no oil leaking at all. I just can't understand why its not working. its like there is no resistance to the seat coming back up so its like you are riding the spring.

I have a yz426 rear shock I will sell you for 25 bucks.

its a 05 yz450, there is no oil leaking at all. I just can't understand why its not working. its like there is no resistance to the seat coming back up so its like you are riding the spring.

Sounds like no gas in it to me.

when a shock is blown the oil runs down the shaft and run out of oil. wonce its out of oil it will have no compression or rebound adjustment. my tcs rear blew and costed $100 to fix. if teh shock is stiff its valved to hard or has a valve proublum.

Sounds like no gas in it to me.

if theirs no gas teh oil will leak

well i took it off and can move it by hand so i guess something is wrong, how can i get gas added to it and where is the best place to get that done.

Try your local shop should be around 10-15 bucks

Try recharging it w/ nitrogen before you send it out. Your local dealer should be able to do this simple service for you.

BTW, you can lose nitrogen and not leak oil if you didn't ride on it w/o gas for very long.