Getting new rear tire...should I replace stock front as well?

I'm going to order new tires this week and I think I've settled on the Dunlop 952 although I'm torn between that and the Maxxis IT. My real question is if I should change out my stock front tire which is still in really good condition. The bike/(stock tire)has 450 miles on it. Would a Dunlop 952 front be much better than the stock front?

Also, I'm going with a 120mm rear, do they make a wider front and would that benefit me since I'll be doing a lot of riding on the beach?

Thanks!

my 2 cents. the 952 is a better performing tire than the IT. yes, get rid of the stock front. here's the deal with fronts. if you go with a long wearing front (952, IT...) be aware they are made with a harder rubber compound than a "normal" front tire (756, 742, 401, m12, s12....), you will give up some performance. grip. your call. the 952 only comes in one 21" size. the only ones i know of that give you a choice are the 401 bridgestone and the 942 dunlop.

Stock front tires do one thing and thats help it roll off the showroom floor after that they don't do much. Most aftermarket tires are an improvement over the stock one and the front is allot easier to change than the back so there is no real reason not to change one out. My .02

I'm going to order new tires this week and I think I've settled on the Dunlop 952 although I'm torn between that and the Maxxis IT. My real question is if I should change out my stock front tire which is still in really good condition. The bike/(stock tire)has 450 miles on it. Would a Dunlop 952 front be much better than the stock front?

Also, I'm going with a 120mm rear, do they make a wider front and would that benefit me since I'll be doing a lot of riding on the beach?

Thanks!

You won't be disapointed with the 952's. :excuseme:

Get the front as well. The stocker is crap. You will notice a huge increase in grip.

BTW, it doesn't matter what front tyre you use, they all last forever.

There is a new trend with front tyres starting to go to 90/100 sizes, they offer a greater contact patch with the ground for increased grip.

the dunlop 739 on the front is not a bad tire if all you ride is hardpack and sharp dry rock.in soft dirt and mud though it sucks big time.i run 756's here in norcal and i'm sold on them but i also get them pretty cheap from a friend at $30 for fronts and $35 for rears.a buddy of mine runs 952's on his 98kx500 and they seem to last.they also seem to handle well where we ride.the 756's handle better on my wr450 but don't last all that long especially if the ground is hard.

the dunlop 739 on the front is not a bad tire if all you ride is hardpack and sharp dry rock.in soft dirt and mud though it sucks big time.i run 756's here in norcal and i'm sold on them but i also get them pretty cheap from a friend at $30 for fronts and $35 for rears.a buddy of mine runs 952's on his 98kx500 and they seem to last.they also seem to handle well where we ride.the 756's handle better on my wr450 but don't last all that long especially if the ground is hard.

I'm glad you chimed in on that. I noticed a lot of the comments about the front tire being crap came from midwesterns, like myself,and for the soil around here, I couldn't agree more.

But, in Arizona, in the desert, that is what the front stocker is made for. It's not made for mud, roots, and slime like we have here.

M.

I'm just curious. Where is the beach in Arizona???? :excuseme:

I'm moving to Mazatlan Mexico later this year so that's where I'll have 100's of miles of secluded beaches to ride and surf.

Thanks for all of the input. I'm going to order 952 front and back so i should be much happier. I'm tired of spinning my rear wheel in every gear....man, those free mods made a difference from when I first got the bike a few weeks ago and was underimpressed with it's power. Not any more!