HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
red7

Installed new handguards but they are hitting my levers..HELP!

12 posts in this topic

I just got some acerbis rally pro handguards and started installing them but if I tighten the bolt that goes inside of the bars then it pulls the handguard in tight up against my brake/clutch levers. Any idea how to avoid that without cutting off the ball on the end of the lever?

My other question is what to do on the throttle side? When I cut an opening in the grip I found that there is a plastic piece that the grip goes on to twist around the bar and the end of it isn't open other than a small hole. Do I just cut the end off of this plastic piece so that I can slide in the bolt for the handguard?

Thanks!

cut the end off of the throttle tube. be careful the plastic cracks easy.

as for the levers, loosen your perches, and move the perches IN toward the middle more...

this will give you more leverage on your levers anyhow.

If you don't want to cut the end off your levers, Moose makes "shorty" levers that solve the problem.

Jerry

Thanks ARin! I went back to the garage after starting this thread and ended up doing just what you said. Sometimes just walking away from it for a few minutes gets my mind thinking again.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

sometimes that is all it takes!

by the by, its WORTH it to order an aluminum throttle tube, and hacksaw the end off of that.

those plastic ones crack and the worst times, and it can really ruin a ride, if your throttle is sticking open because that cheap plastic tube is cracked.

sometimes that is all it takes!

by the by, its WORTH it to order an aluminum throttle tube, and hacksaw the end off of that.

those plastic ones crack and the worst times, and it can really ruin a ride, if your throttle is sticking open because that cheap plastic tube is cracked.

Nah mate, the stock ones are sufficient. How the hell can you crack the stock throttle tube is beyond me????????????????

I hope you are not serious. If you break a throttle tube, that is the least of your worries.

I am serious...almost every one of my riding buddies have cracked one at some point or another.

you must not be riding hard enough.

They are especially easy to crack BEFORE handguard installment, because if you lay the bike down on the end of the bars, it will crack all the way up the middle.

and AFTER handguard instal, the cut off end weakens it...

I can see how that could happen especially before the handguard mount. I cut it back about 2mm from the metal so that it would turn smoothly and that should also keep it from taking the hit if I do lay it down on that side.

i always forget too, that the riding conditions here in nevada are ridiculous. almost impossible to lay the bike down in these rocks without busting up SOMETHING.

there seems to be a rash of clutch case cover cracking lately with my riding buddies...

I havent had a problem yet, Knock on wood.

:bonk: I broke my stock tube by just tipping my bike over, it was the dead of winter and temps were below freezing but I still broke it and now have a aluminum tube and no worries! :excuseme:

You know what id bet there are allot more people out there that have a cracked tube than you would think. They just haven't changed there grips lately to find a nice 2" crack rolling up the front side. Just a matter of time!