any tall fat guys in the crowd

oaky so i just picked up a 00 yz426f.. im 6.3" 275 and im certian i have to do a little suspension work. who does good work.. fineline??? race-tech??? rg3????? another thing, do i have to do valving and springs or can i just get away with spirings

I am 6'1 260 and also have an 00. I got stiffer front and rear springs from racetech and installed them myself. Huge improvement. I have been told that revalving makes a huge difference, but I have not done it.

Go to race tech and they have a chart for your weight and what not.

They should all give you a big change from your suspension now. Springs will help drastically but valving is critical especially with spring changes. Rebound will need to be increased due to the stronger spring wanting to push the shock/fork to full extension quicker and vice versa on compression. Though the changing of springs is easy enough. Changing the valving is much more tedious and involved, it is very doable but a suspension guru will probably hit it very close first time out. It might take you a few tries. For the 600.00 quoted above, you should get all new seals, wipers. valving, springs, oil and bushings. BTW I am 6'2" @ 255lbs, the difference will be night and day! Check with your local shops, there should be a local suspension shop that can personalize it for you and answer your specific questions. You will need your weight in all gear, riding style/level and what type of riding you do most mx,sx, trail etc.

i'm 6'2 and 330 on an 06 yz450 and all i've done so far is race tech springs front and rear, was actually able to take some compression out from factory settings after putting in springs.. so far so good. i think i am probably the fattest guy here and i can jump stuff without killing myself with this combo. race tech's web site is super easy to use and it helps you get the correct spring rates i had my springs in 4 days.about $260 for front and back..

I am about 6'4" and weigh in right around 275 on a good day in street clothes. I had my Suspension done by a guy (Doug Harvey Racing)here in Florida who is pretty well known. He uses Cannon Racecraft Springs and did a complete revalve front and rear and also changed out the front seals and wipers for right at 750 dollars. The change was incredible!! I didn't know what a good suspension should feel like but now I do. He was a little pricey but the knowledge of Florida riding conditions and the fact that he is at most of our State Harescramble series races to make adjustments for people with his suspension for free won my business. My advice is don't search for the cheapest guy, go for one with a local knowledge and will work with you until he gets it right. For guys as big as us it could take a couple of spring change before it feels good to you which any legitimate guy will do for no extra charge. If the guy is across the country then that could get real expensive real quick.

Rebound will need to be increased due to the stronger spring wanting to push the shock/fork to full extension quicker and vice versa on compression.
While this is true, I think our fat asses (I'm 6-5, 275) make up for some of the additional required rebound. I re-sprung front and rear (.50/6.4) and it's definitely better than stock, and the clickers aren't that far off (I started in the center). I'm just a C rider, though, and I'm not sure I could really tell the difference between stock valving and a re-valve. If you're a higher level rider, maybe. :excuseme:

I was the other way. Bought my 00 YZ426F from a guy who was 6'3" and about 130kg. For him the suspension was getting tired. For me 5'9" and 95kgs the suspension is fine for a while yet anyway. Just wish I could lower it a bit so I could jump on it easier to start it.

While this is true, I think our fat asses (I'm 6-5, 275) make up for some of the additional required rebound. I re-sprung front and rear (.50/6.4) and it's definitely better than stock, and the clickers aren't that far off (I started in the center). I'm just a C rider, though, and I'm not sure I could really tell the difference between stock valving and a re-valve. If you're a higher level rider, maybe. :excuseme:

I actually think you would notice the biggest change from valving not spring rate however the shock/fork would have to be able to reextend with your weight on it, The springs will minimize bottoming the valving will make the action controllable. BTW I used Race Tech at one time and they are a good company (Paul Thede believes his way is the best) but I think you will find correct springs for your weight in the Yamaha manual also. There are plenty of great suspension tuners and there are valving formulas available. As I said before, valving is tedious but not difficult.