Dual-Sport rear tire life

So I slapped a new Trail Wing on my XR650R for the start of M/C season in the NorthWest.

Only a couple dirt rides, 99% road riding. So in about 1000 miles, this rear tire is showing serious wear.The knobs are 60-70% gone in the center section.

This bikes appetite for tires is really going to cut into my gas savings.

Any similar experience? My commute usually consists of several inadvertent wheelies and slides, so it could just be me.

Also if anybody had a good street-oriented knobby to recommend, that would be great.

By the way, this bike is an absolute weapon for the morning commute. It slices traffic like a friggin' Ginsu. My ride is 70% road and 30% freeway. I love splitting those stupid metered onramps while the car folks wait.

Thanks all.

Ride safe,

-Z

Sounds about right...

Check your tire pressure, don't run it over 16psi it'll run off real fast in the center

that way.

I got about 1600 miles out of my first set of Dunlop 606's at that point

both back and front look pretty bad.

I'm currently trying out a Kings tire like this one:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=5000&department=647&division=6

Kings KT-966, I got the 4.60 as is was the closest to the stock 110/100

config. But after only 300 miles I can see knobby / tire wall separation.

I think it's from speed on the highways the tire gets too hot.

I've been keeping the speed down to around 60mph and it's not gotten

any worse. I like the tire on the rear, it hooks up pretty well, but I will

get the 5.10 next time though.

Get a MT21 front they hold up pretty well on the road and work real well

off road.

Your best bet is to get two sets of wheels, one for offroad tires. This way

you can use more streetish tires and save the real ones for the weekends :excuseme:

i'd say 1000 miles was good mine wear out at about 5-600!!

I've got 3500 on a MCE Karoo. A new one is on it's way, but the old one is playing in the dirt this weekend. :excuseme:

I ran a IRC 100% dirt tire. I ran it 80% of the time on the street and i have 1100 miles on it. Needs replacing. I could get much more becasue i did a few long burnouts and power braking with it. I am looking at the maxxis M6006 50/50 tire. Any reason not to get those? thanks

So I slapped a new Trail Wing on my XR650R for the start of M/C season in the NorthWest.

Only a couple dirt rides, 99% road riding. So in about 1000 miles, this rear tire is showing serious wear.The knobs are 60-70% gone in the center section.

This bikes appetite for tires is really going to cut into my gas savings.

Any similar experience? My commute usually consists of several inadvertent wheelies and slides, so it could just be me.

Also if anybody had a good street-oriented knobby to recommend, that would be great.

By the way, this bike is an absolute weapon for the morning commute. It slices traffic like a friggin' Ginsu. My ride is 70% road and 30% freeway. I love splitting those stupid metered onramps while the car folks wait.

Thanks all.

Ride safe,

-Z

Deathwings.... nice.

i have the kings tire they are talkin about i have 1700 miles on it and it is holding up great no freway riding tho. i have prolly another 3500 left on it

Drew