HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ram1000

XR600 hard starter?

8 posts in this topic

What year??

Best starting on a XR600 is just past TDC, no throttle, kick hard, if jetted right, it will start on first or second kick when cold, choke on, once warm, no choke, same game, mine starts first kick when warm, just be sure you are just past TDC, it will go, if you have the older XR with the two carbs, good luck, they flood if you look at it wrong. :excuseme:

Nothing specific to the 600r, just typical stuff like jetting, dirty carb, old spark plug, compression, etc. Does it start, but just makes you work for it? Any difference cold versus hot? I would pull the spark plug first, just to see if there are any obvious signs there.

Like kellismechanic said, a properly set up bike should start with one or two kicks.

HTH,

Dave

The hard starting reputation of the XRs is because it needs to have NO throttle ever when starting. And has a special drill which not many people are taught when they buy one. Wehn cold, around 0-40 degresws f, choke on or half on, make sure you don;t turn the throttle AT ALL, slowly kick it thru till the kick starter stops, pull the compression release in then carefully kick just about an inch, let the compression release go, then kick it like it took your last hot girlfreind from you in high school. Itll either start first kick or you MAY have to redo it just like this again, When hot or warm weather, just the same but no choke. Now, if it is a model with the dual carbs, this means the same drill but it will be harder to start unless jetted just right. The dual carb bikes were a little harder to start.

Is this a new problem? Did it used to start OK, but now it's hard to start? If so then there may be mechanical issues, like valves or rings. If not then kick it harder!

If you have stock jetting, a richer pilot jet can help.

Now, if it is a model with the dual carbs, this means the same drill but it will be harder to start unless jetted just right. The dual carb bikes were a little harder to start.

I guess mine is jetted right.

I never touch the decomp unless the bike has fallen over.

Hey I have a 1995 xr 600 and I was going to street legalize It but I couldnt track down the original owner and get the title for It so I had to scrap the project. Does anyone want to buy a baja designs kit that only has 100 miles on it?

The kit retails for around 550 plus tax. Since I have no use for It I am going to sell It for $300. email me If you need this Dennis51475@aol.com (It also fits some smaller xrs and I still have the box and directions) Thanks,

Dennis