Idle adjust

OK, I feel like a moron, but here goes.

I have the Yamaha shp manual, and the Clymer manual. NEITHER has a description or name for this:

WR_idlea_adj002.jpg

WR_idlea_adj001.jpg

I know it adjusts the idle, put does it adjust air or fuel? I did the Cam mod to get auto decomp. before the mod I got started on the first kick on the Harescramble line EVERY TIME (provided i did the starting ritual. Then I went and rode in the snow and my bud fiddle withthe idle to help me keep from stalling on the uphills. Then I did the cam mod. NOW It starts and runs, and seems to idle OK, but I haven't been able to get a first kick start yet :excuseme::bonk:

Not good on a dead engine HS start :busted::bonk:

what exactly is this thing called. Which direction (CW or CCW) do I trun it to enrich or lean the mixture and properly adjust the idle?

thanks in advance

That does not richen or lean the mixture, it simply is a throttle stop. Turn clockwise to increase idle speed, however don't expect it to start easier.

It adjusts both!!!!!

It raises the throttle slide!

That does not richen or lean the mixture, it simply is a throttle stop. Turn clockwise to increase idle speed, however don't expect it to start easier.

So any insight into starting issue if it's not a mixture issue?

Set your pilot circuit correctly. Have you got an adjustable fuel screw?

If not, get one.

It probably is a mixture issue. When I went to the auto decompress cam, my bike became a little harder to start. then switched to Edelbrock carb and now it's a very easy start. Try adjusting the fuel screw to see if you can get it a little better.

Gonna ply with it tonight and see what I can do. Never jetted a carb before. It was running pretty darn good prior to cam mod. The Eddelbrock is a little steep for my budget right now so I'll see about getting it jetted properly first.

Thanks for teh help guys.

BTW Matty, what gives on the random changing avatars?