HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pigryder

L "wings" like Maxi pad "wings" The same thing?

35 posts in this topic

Hey guys I was riding the L the other day and looked down and happened to notice that the wings on the stock tank look as though they were designed more of protection like wings on a maxipad :excuseme: My legs were behind them like they would protect my legs from flighing debris, maybe thats why no other aircooled Honda fourstrokes had them :bonk: What do you guys think? :bonk: good theory :busted:

They're to slow the L down so the R can keep up. :excuseme:

Dude I love both my bikes but the R would smoke the L :bonk:

Dude I love both my bikes but the R would smoke the L :excuseme:

Ya gotta watch out for the trolling that goes on- they're all trying to outdo my 'best bike in the world' thread, which didn't even start as a trolling exercise!

BTW, didja know shaft drive bikes can't wheelie?

And WD-40 is the best chain-lube ever, O-ring or regular chain, its the best!

Dave

Ya gotta watch out for the trolling that goes on- they're all trying to outdo my 'best bike in the world' thread, which didn't even start as a trolling exercise!

Dave

damn ... somebody shoulda told my old BMW it can't wheelie ... :excuseme:

Dave

My buddies got a old yamaha scooter thats shaft drive and it will wheelie with a little encouragement

Liars. Shaft drive bikes CAN'T wheelie. It has to do with the way torque is transmitted from the crank to the wheel. If your shaft drive bike has enough power to loft the wheel all you're going to do is twist the bike over on its side straight into the ground. It's a fact. Get over it.

I wish you people would grow up. :excuseme:

Liars. Shaft drive bikes CAN'T wheelie. It has to do with the way torque is transmitted from the crank to the wheel. If your shaft drive bike has enough power to loft the wheel all you're going to do is twist the bike over on its side straight into the ground. It's a fact. Get over it.

Huh?

A shaft drive configuration terminates in a ring & pinion gearset. The pinion exerts its force on the teeth of the ring in the direction of intended wheel travel; ie: clockwise or counterclockwise, depending upon LH or RH mating), and the gear is concentric to the wheel. Force/torque is applied in this enrgy transfer path. Not sideways.

Moreover, the shaft's energy is purely rotational; it is held in rotation by bearings. the shaft does not exert any lateral force at all. the pinion and ring teeth mate in such a way where the energy is delivered into as much rotational force as possible. Little, if any, is lateral.

If this urban myth had any truth to it, all shaft drive bikes would quickly steer (right or left, depending upon the phase of the moon, or the flawed logic of the lateral force) if the throttle was whacked WFO while moving.

http://www.motorbyte.com/mmm/pages/2003/58/feature58_2.htm

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.motorcycles/search?group=rec.motorcycles&q=shafties+can%27t+wheelie&qt_g=1&searchnow=Search+this+group

What’s this about shaft-driven motorcycles not counter-steering or wheelying?

Balderdash. It’s a boring old joke used to start flame-wars and confuse newbies. It’s a misrepresentation of the story about why Boxers can’t wheelie.

I live in Arizona Get on the back of my goldwing and tell me it can't wheelie. All it needs is the extra weight in the back so it doesn't smoke the tire and it will wheelie. My shadow before it would wheelie and my 1976 goldwing would wheelie. Dude you don't know what you are talking about. :bonk:

It was a joke fellas.

I'm the guy that posted the picture of the goldwing wheelieing in the Can't/Won't Wheelie thread.

ETA: I was gonna include that you'll fall to the left in the northern hemisphere and fall to the right is the southern hemisphere but I figured that would be over the top. Next time I'll make sure my sarcasm is so outragous it can't be mistaken for seriousness. :excuseme:

It was a joke fellas.

I'm the guy that posted the picture of the goldwing wheelieing in the Can't/Won't Wheelie thread.

ETA: I was gonna include that you'll fall to the left in the northern hemisphere and fall to the right is the southern hemisphere but I figured that would be over the top. Next time I'll make sure my sarcasm is so outragous it can't be mistaken for seriousness. :bonk:

No worries. Seems this "discussion" is about as old as Usenet. :excuseme:

Isn't the new 2007 XL650L shaft driven? What about maxi pads? I thought most "L" riders used them? :busted::excuseme::bonk:

Isn't the new 2007 XL650L shaft driven? What about maxi pads? I thought most "L" riders used them? :bonk::excuseme::busted:

:p:bonk: hahaha. jk.

How the hell did this go from the wings on the L to shaft driven wheelies :excuseme: And you guys still havent commented on my theory about the wings :bonk:

It was a joke fellas.

Next time I'll make sure my sarcasm is so outragous it can't be mistaken for seriousness. :bonk:

Good luck with that. :excuseme: