XR600R & XR650L sprocket part numbers

This has probably been discussed, but I did not find what I was looking for in the search area.

I read a lot about a bad tolerance mismatch on the output/countershaft when using aftermarket sprockets. I want an OEM 14 tooth countershaft sprocket for an '06 XRL. Will the stock 600R sprocket fit the countershaft splines of the L?

Dealer has the 600r one for about $30.

I have been running the Moose 14t on mine for a while and while I have not had any problems yet there seems to be a lot "engine feel" on the pavement and I have started to wonder if this might be beating on the splines. The Moose sprocket is solid without the rubber center part. If you go the way of "oem" , would you please let us know if the 600 sprocket has the rubber center because I suspect it might help spline and transmission longevity. I think you are on the right track as 30 dollars is a lot cheaper than an overhaul.

Hmmm...I thought the cush drive was only at the rear, if there was one on a bike. Intersting info, though, and I will post what I find out. I have seen some afternarket countershaft sprockets showing as the same part numbers, so I think they are interchangeable. But my local Honda parts guy will have to order the 600R one, and I'd prefer to be accurate before I ask him to.

If anyone knows for sure, chime in.

Yes, it's definitely best for the cheaper parts to be the sacrificial ones! :excuseme:

I have been running the Moose 14t on mine for a while and while I have not had any problems yet there seems to be a lot "engine feel" on the pavement and I have started to wonder if this might be beating on the splines. The Moose sprocket is solid without the rubber center part. If you go the way of "oem" , would you please let us know if the 600 sprocket has the rubber center because I suspect it might help spline and transmission longevity. I think you are on the right track as 30 dollars is a lot cheaper than an overhaul.

Found this: http://www.4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22931&SearchTerms=650l,sprocket

Not sure of the accuracy or assessment, though. :excuseme:

I'm running the stock 14. My friend went to the 14 on his 650L for the dirt. It is a Honda OEM sprocket. I never checked the part number, but I bet it is the standard 600 part number.

I think that those splines are a weak point. Poorly designed aftermarket countershaft sprockets will ruin them. My friend had to replace his countershaft. Mine is starting to show wear. I'll be replacing mine in the next year or two.

I think that those splines are a weak point. Poorly designed aftermarket countershaft sprockets will ruin them. My friend had to replace his countershaft. Mine is starting to show wear. I'll be replacing mine in the next year or two.

This is exactly what I am trying to avoid, and believe that the JT, Sunstar, Ironman, etc. may end up causing. Bummer. Sorry to hear about yours.

My local Honda dealer has confirmed the 600R 14 tooth will interchange with the 650L shaft. $33 beats dealing with a new shaft, and even if mine wears, then I did what I could to prevent it. :excuseme:

Thanks for the info, and good luck. :bonk:

This is exactly what I am trying to avoid, and believe that the JT, Sunstar, Ironman, etc. may end up causing. Bummer. Sorry to hear about yours.

My local Honda dealer has confirmed the 600R 14 tooth will interchange with the 650L shaft. $33 beats dealing with a new shaft, and even if mine wears, then I did what I could to prevent it. :excuseme:

Thanks for the info, and good luck. :bonk:

There is a year issue- older 600's had fewer splines, so make sure you get the newer one with more splines.

D

So does the Xr600 sprocket have the rubber insert/center? And is it some kind of cush drive or just for spacing/vibration? :excuseme:

No rubber on my XR600, countershaft or rear wheel.

I ordered one from my local Honda parts shop. I'll report back what it ends up looking like.

My 250R, like cleonard's 600R, doesn't have rubber parts. Dirt bikes won't. I don't expect the 600R one I ordered to be anything but steel. I only went for the OEM one to get as best a match for the splines as possible since this is a common enough failure point, and its not an easy or cheap problem to fix.

I'm guessing that if the OEM 15 tooth 650L one has rubber, it is for spacing/vibration, etc., and the rubber isn't really part of the sprocket.

Cush drive is at the rear hub.

• 3 years later...
Someone mentioned rubber on the f. sprocket. These are discs of rubber bonded to the sprocket, and their purpose is to reduce chain noise.

Spline life can be extended by applying moly grease to them before installing the sprocket.

a

I recently had my swingarm chain slider give out on my XRL and got sucked up into the front sprocket which tore off all the rubber on one side of the sprocket and half of it on the other. Do I need to worry about this or is it OK to run it as is?

I recently had my swingarm chain slider give out on my XRL and got sucked up into the front sprocket which tore off all the rubber on one side of the sprocket and half of it on the other. Do I need to worry about this or is it OK to run it as is?

The rubber on the sprocket is just to damp some noise.

I'd say you're good-to-go with it missing on one side, or maybe cut off the other side too if you're really paranoid about the sprocket getting pushed sideways a bit.

Dave