HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xdirtbikerx

Johnny Campbells rear tire model and size?

12 posts in this topic

Anyone know what tire and size Johnny Campbell uses for Baja? I know the Honda team runs Dunlop , so it is probally a desert AT, But anyone know for sure the model and size?

D739 Desert AT 120/100/18 for the rear.... depends on the course, on a 1000 to La Paz i think they used the 606 for the rear...

dunlop 739 at 120/100-18 dunlop heavy duty tube 2 rim locks never a 606rear sometimes a 900 series prototype not sure exactly the# usually only used in point to point baja 1000 but probably never need to again because of the highway speed limit

Thanks, i have been searching all the tire info people have left for the 650. that will just confuse you more. IRC, teraflex, pirelli , maxxis , dunlop , chen shin, I swear you can find someone who will say each one of those was the best tire they ever had. so I thought i would try whatever johnny campbell was using and see how that worked for me. I used to use the Dunlop desert AT when i had a CR 500 and i liked it then, so maybe I will like it on the 650. Thanks again for your help,. mike.

Try a maxxis I.T. 8.5 out of 10 for performance of all terrian types and 10 of 10 for price about $50-$60 and tire life of about 600-1000 intermediate miles ,we pre ran the baja 500 twice about 600 milles looked good put new tires on for race day and did not do a tire change and after 425 race miles and about 30 miles were pavement it still has about 2 more 100 mile rides left. and no I don't work for maxxis ,and there not even one of our sponsors, just a good old fashion product that performs, we still have to buy these tires , I do not recommend the maching maxxis tire for the front, still doing testing so far the dunlop 756 is the good all arounder for the front.

Are the high speeds the reason non bib mouse are used?

Yes, especially so on the pavement with higher speeds because the tire temps climb up there pretty good and this will make jelly out of the bib mouse after a while.

Bridgestone ED78 Rear Tire 120/100-18

Anyone run this tire? It's the only tire i've ever ran on my 650r so i'm looking for some comps.

Bridgestone ED78 Rear Tire 120/100-18

Anyone run this tire? It's the only tire i've ever ran on my 650r so i'm looking for some comps.

best tire ever for the 650 and ive only run it once...prerunning the 500

B team runs it...

Thats some great info, thanks, i was noticing my friend has a maxxis rear on his xr and it seems to be wearing pretty good for him also. thanks, next trip to chaparral and i am going to pick up tires. thanks for the real life tire usage, i love thumper talk for that, you can cut right through all the advertising BS and get the real world scoop. thanks again. mike

best tire ever for the 650 and ive only run it once...prerunning the 500

B team runs it...

Good to hear,

I love that tire also. The casings are so thick, and the added bonus of the rim savers "rubber lip protecting the rim" give me a ton of confidence hitting the rough stuff at speed.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?&collid=36365822208.32169287808.1150908994686&photoid=64359287808&folderid=0&view=1&page=1&sort_order=&albumsperpage=&navfolderid=2006

http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?&collid=36365822208.32169287808.1150908994686&photoid=826204430108&folderid=0&view=1&page=1&sort_order=&albumsperpage=&navfolderid=2006