HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
elcamino76

chain and sprockets

6 posts in this topic

on my 03 yz 450 i have a 14/50 set up and i am looking to replace sprockets back to original 14/48. what size chain do i need. i think its 520 but what about links/length, (the number 120 hits me first but not sure.) does it even matter?? thanks.

114 links is stock and yes a 520. Does it matter...not really just put the wheel as far forward or back as you want and adjust the chain for the proper slack. I usually go with 114 links though.

If you need a chain PM me I have a Regina ZRH 520/114 sitting in my garage..

114 links does not give you any margin. Maybe 118 links is OK, but I like to buy 120 links and take away only what needed to get the wheel as back as possible. Furthermore, the small seller I buy from keeps mainly 120 in his shelf and it is not more expensive than the shorter chains, but it is guaranteed to fit almost any bike.

Does it matter...not really just put the wheel as far forward or back as you want and adjust the chain for the proper slack.

I left some info out, but Sureblue covered it. What I was trying to say is just get the 120 and "put the wheel as far forward or back as you want and adjust the chain for the proper slack" and remove links as needed. 120 is pretty much the standard length thar chains come in when you buy them.

but if you going with stock gearing 114 links is fine if you like the stock wheelbase.