Aftermarket air filters for XR's

Just read this on Scott Summers 10 tips for the XR600R:

"1. To increase intake airflow, Scott removes the airbox snorkel and uses an aftermarket air filter. Scott recommends not removing the backfire screen from the air filter cage because it changes the intake air velocity and causes the bike to have poor throttle response at low rpm."

I'm thinkin I might just change the twin air cage that I bought for the stock cage. Hopefully that helps. Anybody know if the twin air would even fit on the stock cage?

I run the twin air cage and filter on my 600r. I dont know if its correct or not, but I have the plastic cage inside the filter and the seal between the inside of the airbox and the filter is made when the bracket puts pressure on the cage and the filter gets pressed between the cage and the lip on the inside of the air box. Always wondered if this was right or not, it looks like a good seal. Anyway the twinair cage is like 15 bucks, I have the part # somewhere if you want it.

Do you have a bogging problem with that cage? I have the same plastic cage with no screen and I get a bad bog when I wick the throttle open no matter how rich I jet it. What jets and needle position are you running with that setup?

I can kill it if I really blip it. But my K&N used to do that also, I guess there both high flow setups compared to stock. I have don't know what the carbs set up like. I really need to learn a thing or two about that. I don't know what any of the settings mean or how to adjust it. But if I had to guess I would say it the stock setup. :excuseme:

.....maybe not, it came with the k&n on it, maybe the previouse owner new what he was doing and did some adjusting.

Chances are that the bike was jetted properly if it is running good with an aftermarket filter and cage. So does anybody think that the reason for the bog is because I used the Twin air cage which has no backfire screen and basically no restrictions at all?