HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ranger18

new to the yzf forum

10 posts in this topic

I Just picked up my new 06 yz450f this weekend. As you can see I'm no stranger to thumpertalk, however this is my first 4 stroke yamaha. I did have a few questions for all you 06 riders. Were is a good place to find parts for this new of a bike? I was looking into skid plates, radiator guards , and spark arrestors. This is what I've found: Pro Moto Billet spark arrestor, Devol Rad guards and skid plate. I have also seen the utah sport cycle skid plate, but I can get the devol for $15 cheaper.(I like the skid plate to offer all around protection for desert riding) If you have any thing you would like to ad, please do, I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks. :applause:

I don't like the look of Devol myself, to me it looks like cheap steel. I have read before that it don't fit good on some of the 06's, but I may be thinking of the wrong company.

I have been running without a skid plate and just been using the stock guide plate, but I don't trail ride, so I don't have to worry too much about branches or rocks hitting my cases so much.

The radiator guards by Devol look really good to me though, unlike there wide skid plates. I myself ordered a pair and they fit well, and work well. I ordered mine through my dealership so I couldn't give you a site. As for spark arrestor, I don't use one, so I couldn't tell you. Try finding a slip-on by FMF or GYTR parts. The one your talking about is the only other one I know of.

I love the bike, some other things I want to point out to you before you go blow more money on parts later down the road. The stock chain; sucks, you may want to replace it before you run it and it also wears down the stock sprockets. And, of course, grease everything. The bikes great man, and have fun!

I was going to get the Devol Radiator guards until I saw my buddies on a muddy weekend of woods riding. He had a hard time keeping air flowing over the radiator due to severe mud packing. My bike came with the Works Connection braces behind the radiators and I have been surprised how well they work. :applause:

Thumpertalk store is probably your best bet for picking up goodies. PMB endcap, Works Connection skid plate and radiator cages are a good idea for the bike, I also suggest a decent chain, taller bars, and good aluminum handguards if you trail ride. Stuff like a Zip-Ty fuel screw makes fine-tuning the jetting easier. Enjoy the new ride! :excuseme: