HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bamster

Odometer drive

7 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever replaced the little plastic gear at the front axle that drives the odometer? Mine has worn out and when I went to the dealer, they said I have to buy the whole unit (outer wheel spacer plastic gear and seal).

It's 139.00$. If you just pull off the seal the plastic gear slides out.

Seems kind of stupid that I have to buy all tree parts when the gear is made of plastic so it fails before any other parts do. I can't believe Yamaha would rip people off like that. Just wondering if I got a bonehead parts guy or if thats the way it's sold? Anybody have a spare one hanging around they want to sell?

nope havnt replaced

having owned a trailtech i would say its a cheaper replacement

just lacks backlight really thats all i dont like about it

so yeah i thinks get a trailtech and a speedo eliminator spacer

oh btw compare yamaha parts catalogs to most other manufacturers and u will find yamaha mostly only sell in bundled lots.....GRRRR

I was thinking about getting a trailtech but a friend of mine who had one had nothing but problems with it.

Price sounds about right, I had to buy one for my XR once.

My friend has the Trailtech, and likes it. The new one comes with a tach that might help with the fine tuning of fuel/air as a bonus?

Where did everybody get their spacers from? I currently have a strip of duck tape covering the hole for cable! :excuseme:

Has anyone ever replaced the little plastic gear at the front axle that drives the odometer? Mine has worn out and when I went to the dealer, they said I have to buy the whole unit (outer wheel spacer plastic gear and seal).

It's 139.00$. If you just pull off the seal the plastic gear slides out.

Seems kind of stupid that I have to buy all tree parts when the gear is made of plastic so it fails before any other parts do. I can't believe Yamaha would rip people off like that. Just wondering if I got a bonehead parts guy or if thats the way it's sold? Anybody have a spare one hanging around they want to sell?

Check out Bike bandit .com. I think i saw that you can get the whole thing for about $74.Still steep considering you can get a computer for about 142.00 from Dennis Kirk.

I have a speedometer/odometer off an old DT.

Thats the only reason I'd like to replace the gear.

Anybody running a computer want to part with the little plastic gear?