Odometer drive

Has anyone ever replaced the little plastic gear at the front axle that drives the odometer? Mine has worn out and when I went to the dealer, they said I have to buy the whole unit (outer wheel spacer plastic gear and seal).

It's 139.00$. If you just pull off the seal the plastic gear slides out.

Seems kind of stupid that I have to buy all tree parts when the gear is made of plastic so it fails before any other parts do. I can't believe Yamaha would rip people off like that. Just wondering if I got a bonehead parts guy or if thats the way it's sold? Anybody have a spare one hanging around they want to sell?

nope havnt replaced

having owned a trailtech i would say its a cheaper replacement

just lacks backlight really thats all i dont like about it

so yeah i thinks get a trailtech and a speedo eliminator spacer

oh btw compare yamaha parts catalogs to most other manufacturers and u will find yamaha mostly only sell in bundled lots.....GRRRR

I was thinking about getting a trailtech but a friend of mine who had one had nothing but problems with it.

Price sounds about right, I had to buy one for my XR once.

My friend has the Trailtech, and likes it. The new one comes with a tach that might help with the fine tuning of fuel/air as a bonus?

Where did everybody get their spacers from? I currently have a strip of duck tape covering the hole for cable! :excuseme:

Has anyone ever replaced the little plastic gear at the front axle that drives the odometer? Mine has worn out and when I went to the dealer, they said I have to buy the whole unit (outer wheel spacer plastic gear and seal).

It's 139.00$. If you just pull off the seal the plastic gear slides out.

Seems kind of stupid that I have to buy all tree parts when the gear is made of plastic so it fails before any other parts do. I can't believe Yamaha would rip people off like that. Just wondering if I got a bonehead parts guy or if thats the way it's sold? Anybody have a spare one hanging around they want to sell?

Check out Bike bandit .com. I think i saw that you can get the whole thing for about $74.Still steep considering you can get a computer for about 142.00 from Dennis Kirk.

I have a speedometer/odometer off an old DT.

Thats the only reason I'd like to replace the gear.

Anybody running a computer want to part with the little plastic gear?